Tropicsailor33

Default Come-along?

Anybody know of a small chain come-along that would be useful for cruising?

John
Rick & Linda Bernard

What would you use it for? I have a come-along and use it from time to time
to lift heavy stuff out of the boat. The genset was the last thing ~ 300#.
I bought it at TG&Y (a Walmart like store) years ago.

"Tropicsailor33" wrote in message
Anybody know of a small chain come-along that would be useful for

cruising?

John

Armond Perretta

Tropicsailor33 wrote:

Anybody know of a small chain come-along that would be useful for
cruising?

I think you will find more occasions to use a 5 or 6 part block and tackle.
Doesn't rust, either.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Truelove39

http://www.productionadvantageonline...ver_hoists.htm

Jim Woodward

Looks good, but I would want more chain than a five foot lift. We all
know how to re-rig, but it's a PITA.

BTW, I disagree wholeheartedly with the suggestion of a multi-part
block and tackle as a substitute. Even with cam cleats or rachets on
the B&T you have much less control. The little guy cited below is rate
for 550 pounds. To do that with a six part B&T you need to pull
around 100 pounds, including some friction, which is hard to do with
any control. A little WD-40 and a plastic bag and rust doesn't have to
worry. Even though Swee****er had plenty of winch power (13, ranging
up to 80:1 primaries), we took one of these around the world. It was
useful several times. It's on Fintry now, rust free and still useful.

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

(Truelove39) wrote in message ...
http://www.productionadvantageonline...ver_hoists.htm

Wwj2110

columbus mckinnon makes comealongs as well as the chain for them. I have a
half ton aluminum comealong & its been very reliable.
Phil

I have a 3/4 ton CM and use it all the time on and off the boat. I have even
used it to lift the engine.
Phil

"Truelove39" wrote in message
http://www.productionadvantageonline...ver_hoists.htm

Tropicsailor33

Thanks to all who responded. I found these are available with longer chains and
after reading PS Mailport this month I think they would be a better solution to
getting a MOB aboard than a 5-part tackle as well..

John

I have a 3/4 ton CM and use it all the time on and off the boat. I have even
used it to lift the engine.
Phil

"Truelove39" wrote in message
http://www.productionadvantageonline...ver_hoists.htm

Tropicsailor33

Of course this won't happen in calm seas. And the trouble with your method is
that while you're winching him up from within the cockpit, he is swinging
helplessly and crashing against the topsides as the boat rolls. If you were to
rig and operate the lifting device just above the MOB, you could not only see
what you were doing, but also control that swinging if need be while operating
the lift with the other.

John

wrote:

For MOB, we have something rigged up that goes from the mast to the
jib winches and that allows me to winch my husband aboard or vice
versa.