posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Bahamas Internet access

I'm going to the Bahamas for a couple months this winter and have to
have internet access so my kids can do schoolwork. I have some ideas as
to how to do this in the Abacos, but would like others. My most current
is to use a Linksys WUSB54G bridge and an antenna, but I'm wondering if
there isn't anything better.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On 28 Dec 2006 16:21:45 -0800, "Messing In Boats"
wrote:

I'm going to the Bahamas for a couple months this winter and have to
have internet access so my kids can do schoolwork. I have some ideas as
to how to do this in the Abacos, but would like others. My most current
is to use a Linksys WUSB54G bridge and an antenna, but I'm wondering if
there isn't anything better.

There are two services commonly available in the Abacos:

1. Coconut Telegraphs - http://cocotels.net/

2. Out Island Internet - http://www.abacoinet.com/

Some marinas have WiFi available also.

More sites here, mostly Nassau:

http://www.wi-fihotspotsdirectory.co...ahamas-27.html

Sampson Cay Club Resort has access in the Exumas.

SCYC, Compass Cay Marina, Highborne Cay Marina and Exuma Park are all
rumored to have WiFi as well.

On my boat I'm using a Senao NUB-362(EXT) going to a 15 db
omnidirectional vertical at 20 feet via LMR-400 coax cable. This
gives me a typical range of 2 or 3 miles going to a decent outdoor
access point.

http://www.wlanparts.com/

or

http://www.wlansolution.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1