nereid

Default 12volt PC Power Supply

Thanks for the info, I found it usefull.

Peter S/Y Anicula

"Glendon" skrev i en meddelelse

This thread has sparked me into doing a bit more research on 12V power for
computers and a few thoughts and sources are listed below. I have also
crossposted this to rec.boats.electronics, where this thread might be more
appropriate.

The carputer/MP3 group have done a fair bit of work in this area, and

appear
to face a similar problem to powering computers in boats......powering
solutions which involve AC inverters often create undesirable "noise". For
many, a DC-DC solution is the preferred way to go.

http://www.thisstrife.com/carproject..._chapter_4.asp has a forum where
power issues are discussed, also checkout the downloads and resources (one
of the .pdf downloads has a list of sources for DC-Dc converters)

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11 is another forum

http://www.sproggy.freeserve.co.uk/ offers a design for a DIY person to
build a 12V input(8-17V) and ATX power output converter Anyone have any
experience with this? Looks too advanced for my electronics skills.

A commercial solution is at http://www.opussolutions.com/150watt.html

12V
unregulated auto/boat input , 150 watt ATX power output, with all sorts of
sensing, shutdown and protection features. Cost about $200US They also

have
a 90 watt version for ITX. Anyone have any experience with this in terms

of
RFI?

This last one seems to answer the original poster's question.

Marcus AAkesson

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 02:25:42 GMT, "johnh" wrote:

There are several available that will output a true 12v.

I don't have my list right now, but one of the itx powersupply companies has
a cigarette lighter one that outputs about 50w for about $50. Radioshack
has one for about $80 that outputs a selectable voltage range that goes to
12 v. I have used this one with an itx board and powersupply.

There are also several industrial strength ones in the $250 to $500 range.

A suitable range of marine 10-14 VDC -- 12 VDC is available from
Mastervolt. Probably expensive.

http://www.mastervolt.com/dcdc/index.asp

/Marcus

--
Marcus AAkesson
Gothenburg Callsigns: SM6XFN & SB4779

Power danny Boat Building 4 May 29th 04 05:17 AM
A great summer of crusing or Let's Ban Power Boats! jchaplain General 33 November 12th 03 12:07 AM
help....power loss problems? Russell Hermansen General 3 September 24th 03 10:36 PM
*STILL* no power after Hurricane Isabel Butch Ammon General 2 September 23rd 03 08:35 AM