Larry W4CSC

Default Fischer Panda Owner's Forum

Geoffrey, your pointer to Next Generation Power doesn't work off the
forum. I found another website I think belongs to them, truckgen.com,
but it is also a dead link from Google.

Have they gone pitchpole on us, too?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:03:07 GMT, "Geoffrey W. Schultz"
wrote:

I've created a Fischer Panda Owner's Forum to act as a repository for
information related to these generators. If you own (or owned) one of
these generators, please post your history/experience in the forum.

I personally have had non-stop problems with my 4200 (mini) generator and
know of many other owners who have had similar problems. This forum is an
attempt to see if these problems are unique or systemic. The forum is
located at

www.FischerPandaSucks.com

and despite the URL, the intent is to collect information on both the good
and the bad.

-- Geoff Schultz

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?
Truelove39

I have never seen a F-P genset, but I have heard a lot of complaints from
cruising owners. That aside, as a long-time marine engineer, I would never be a
fan of high-speed (3600RPM) gensets. Engine "wear" is directly related to
piston speed (read:RPM) and so if I were to consider a genset, I'd much prefer
an 1800 RPM unit. The only thing better than that is no genset at all; I've
cruised the Eastern Caribbean for many years with an Aerogen 6 wind machine and
four 75-watt Astro-Power PV panels.

John
"Truelove"
Westsail 43
Trinidad, W.I.

Doug Dotson

I have a friend that owns a marine busness that used to carry FP gensets.
He had many problems but they were all related to a failed capacitor or
diode (can't remember which) that cost $200 per failure to fix. Never any
problem with mechanical problems. Our generator is a 3600 RPM model
and we are very happy with it. The higher RPM gensets make it easier to
insulate the sound and are more fuel efficient.

If you are in Trinidad, why don't you own a KISS? Much better than
an Aerogen.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Truelove39" wrote in message
I have never seen a F-P genset, but I have heard a lot of complaints from
cruising owners. That aside, as a long-time marine engineer, I would never

be a
fan of high-speed (3600RPM) gensets. Engine "wear" is directly related to
piston speed (read:RPM) and so if I were to consider a genset, I'd much

prefer
an 1800 RPM unit. The only thing better than that is no genset at all;

I've
cruised the Eastern Caribbean for many years with an Aerogen 6 wind

machine and
four 75-watt Astro-Power PV panels.

John
"Truelove"
Westsail 43
Trinidad, W.I.

Truelove39

1. They are not well-balanced, and they vibrate
2. They are noisy, unlike the Aerogen which is virtually silent.
3. They have a thermal shut down device which functions juat as you are getting
good output.
4. I have had my Aerogen 6 since 1997 and it has performed flawlessly.

John

Doug wrote:
If you are in Trinidad, why don't you own a KISS? Much better than
an Aerogen.

Doug Dotson

Sorry, but that is not my experience having a KISS for over a year
and using it all last winter. A friend just down the pier said that his
Aerogen
is very quiet (I've heard it, it is very quiet). He also says it really
doesn't
generate that much power compared to some of the newer generators but
he is happy with it.

"Truelove39" wrote in message
1. They are not well-balanced, and they vibrate.

You balance it yourself after installation and attaching the blades to
the hub. If you take your time and do it right there is little or no
vibration. Mine has no disernable vibration.

2. They are noisy, unlike the Aerogen which is virtually silent.

Just not true. It is one of the quietest generators I have heard. The only
one
that is more quiet is the Rutland but it had the unfortunate property of not
generating much power. In a 15kt breeze you can hardly hear it when
sitting in the cockpitright under it. Does start to woosh a bit ubove that.

3. They have a thermal shut down device which functions juat as you are

getting
good output.

Mine will run continuously in a 20+ knot breeze while outputing over 20
amps.
It will shut down when it gets up around 30 though. Better than burning up
the
alternator.

4. I have had my Aerogen 6 since 1997 and it has performed flawlessly.

Well, the jury is still out on that for me having only had mine for 1.5
years. I
know someone that bought one of the original models something like 4+
years ago. Only problem they have had is a burned up switch. Other than
that it is still operating as good as when it was new. They did say they
have
the original blades which are noisier than those provided now. In the
anchorage we shared I can agree that theirs was noisier but not nearly as
loud as the Air Marine units. Although the new Air Marines are much quieter
than the older ones.

John

Doug wrote:
If you are in Trinidad, why don't you own a KISS? Much better than
an Aerogen.

Geoffrey W. Schultz

Default KISS Wind Generators (was Fischer Panda Owner's Forum)

Doug,

I just installed a KISS in Ft. Lauderdale (where I was replacing my
Fischer Panda (ooops, slap, slap, slap :-) ) before I moved the boat
back to Guatemala. As a result I only have a few weeks experience with
it.

I will say that I'm having trouble with vibration. I've carefully
followed their instructions on ballancing the blades, but I'm still
getting vibration. I'm planning on machining a replacement support-pole
hub that will have a bearing in it that will ride against the stainless
pole. That will get rid of most of the vibration I suspect.

I will also agree that the thermal cutouts seem to cut-out too soon. I
noted I was getting cut-outs in the 20-25 kt range. Even worse, this
seemed to have disabled the STOP switch position. To me this means that
if I don't stop it in time that I may have to use a pole to swing it
sideways into the wind, which is probably something that I don't want to
do if the wind is getting up there and especially if I'm out at sea. If
this is what is really happening (and I think that it is), this is a
serious design flaw.

On the plus side it's very easy to maintain and parts are available
anywhere. And it's VERY quiet. You can hear the blades woosh, but
that's about all. I hate the Air Marines and have even moved in an
anchorage due to their noise.

-- Geoff

P.S. If you're interested, there's a photo of the generator at
http://www.geoffschultz.org/2003
_Sailing/BlueJacket_Work/imagepages/image9.htm

"Doug Dotson" wrote in
:

Doug wrote:
If you are in Trinidad, why don't you own a KISS? Much better than
an Aerogen.

Doug Dotson

Geoff,

Interesting about the thermal cutout bypassing the switch. That
bears looking into. The few times I experienced the cutouts
engaging, I just went and threw the switch and it shutdown. It
could have been that the cutouts had released by then anyway.
I used the pole mount kit that had rubber pads at the base. The
2 braces go to the side and top of the radar arch and also have
rubber pads inside the pipe clamps. Very little vibration and then
only at higher speeds.

Doug

7.77...

Doug wrote:
If you are in Trinidad, why don't you own a KISS? Much better than
an Aerogen.

Carl

I have an F-P 12Kw and it will not shut down electrically. I have to
go down to mechanically choke of the fuel supply. The mechanics can't
find what is wrong?

Any experiences?