Default Seawater strainer questions

First, I had an idea while backwashing the pool a few minutes ago. Cleaning
out the engine raw water strainer can be a chore while underway. Grocco has
an expensive self cleaning strainer/insinkerator but has anyone considered
putting a tee with two stops just after the strainer and running pressurized
fresh water to it? Then you would turn off the engine supply and turn on
the fresh water and blow what ever crud is in the strainer basket back out
the throughhull. Probably need a check valve on the fresh water line to
prevent accidental contamination but it should at least get the strainer
flowing enough to get going again.

The other thing is should a sailboat have a strainer over the throughhull?
Seems that a jellyfish could clog it completely where as it would be harder
to completely clog a strainer basket.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

First, I had an idea while backwashing the pool a few minutes ago.

Cleaning
out the engine raw water strainer can be a chore while underway.

Prefer KISS methods.

Install thru hull & sea cock in conventional method, then install a
nipple and a tee with a plug rather than an elbow.

The hose gets connected to the side connection of tee.

If it plugs, remove pipe plug and rod open, then reclose sea cock and
replace plug with out any undue haste.

Lew

In article ,
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote:

First, I had an idea while backwashing the pool a few minutes ago. Cleaning
out the engine raw water strainer can be a chore while underway. Grocco has
an expensive self cleaning strainer/insinkerator but has anyone considered
putting a tee with two stops just after the strainer and running pressurized
fresh water to it? Then you would turn off the engine supply and turn on
the fresh water and blow what ever crud is in the strainer basket back out
the throughhull. Probably need a check valve on the fresh water line to
prevent accidental contamination but it should at least get the strainer
flowing enough to get going again.

The other thing is should a sailboat have a strainer over the throughhull?
Seems that a jellyfish could clog it completely where as it would be harder
to completely clog a strainer basket.

I agree with the KISS. Our raw water strainer is to hand when I open the
engine compartment, the wrench is on it, an a sink's within arm reach.
Takes maybe 2 minutes to dump junk out.

Strainer? Too easy to clog and too tough to clean out. We picked up a
big seed once and I was able to clear that with a screwdriver.

--
Jere Lull

Glenn,
There are 1000 ways to solve this problem, but I close a straight pipe
verticle from the bottom and a large ball valve flange mounted to that.
Again a flange mounted pipe verticle to the ball valve. On top of the ball
valve, I have the bronze strainer can that has a bottom pipe feed and a side
exit. The top is clear lexan. The entire bronze strainer can is above the
water line. This allows me to remove the lexan top, then the basket without
flooding the boat. Because the path is straight without obstructions, a
broom handle can easily clear anything ingested. I have another path the
same way but is used for a cockpit drain.
Steve

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
[...]

mounting a seawater strainer? Steve Lusardi Boat Building 0 March 19th 06 01:46 PM
Where's the poop questions? Sandy K. General 49 May 24th 05 09:46 AM
Don't ask questions on boats - the Feds are watching! [email protected] General 14 April 22nd 05 04:10 AM
sea strainer Miguel Cruising 12 January 22nd 04 03:28 PM
Newbie questions Tony Kenny UK Power Boats 7 January 12th 04 08:44 PM