BoatBanter.com

-   -   Silicone Removal (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/7661-silicone-removal.html)

John Helgerson September 17th 03 04:17 PM

Silicone Removal

I had new Lexan windows installed. The installer left smears of silicone on
the windows. How can I remove the silicone smears from the plastic windows?

Thank,

John

Iansnewsgroups September 17th 03 10:06 PM

Silicone Removal

if the silicon is still fresh and the smear is small, it may come off
with just a vigorous rub of the finger, otherwise try using a razor
blade (or another vigorous rub) to carefully lift the edge of a smear
and see if you can pull it off from the corner

Jim Woodward September 17th 03 11:11 PM

Silicone Removal

1) Call the installer and have him or her make it right.

2) if #1 fails, 3M makes a Caulk Remover that will remove silicone. I
don't have any idea what it will do to your windows...

Here's the URL, but a search on "3M caulk remover" is probably easier.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

Brian Whatcott September 18th 03 03:30 AM

Silicone Removal

Next time, use masking tape to define the grout line. Both sides.
Leaves a neat edge.

Brian W