posted to rec.boats,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Default Klein Bottle (Navigation on weird worlds)

Back when I was discussing coord systems for navigating on weird shaped
worlds, someone pointed out that I could actually buy a Kleins bottle
from a company called "ACME Kleins Bottles" so I ordered one. They
also have a great thing called "The Mug of Tantalus" which is a blown
glass beer mug with a siphon built into the handle. You can fill the
mug about halfway with no problem but if you go any higher ALL the
liquid drains out via the siphon. Of course, I bought one for a beer
drinking friend.
The proprieter who refers to himself as "Chief Klein's Bottle Washer"
sent it along with terrible puns and inside math jokes and
certification of zero volume. I e-mailed back a few of my own and his
name started to sound familiar. It turns out that he is Cliff Stoll
who wrote several books about the internet, was briefly famous for
catching some criminal hackers and wrote an article in Sci Am. about
the Curta calculator.
The Klein Bottle is not as cool as I thought it would be primarily
because none of my friends know what it is so they do not appreciate it.

posted to rec.boats,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

You would probably enjoy making your own mobius strip. Much cheaper and
easier to understand. You'll usually get a light going on expression when
you trace around it and show someone that it only has one surface.

--
Roger Long

Roger Long wrote:
You would probably enjoy making your own mobius strip. Much cheaper and
easier to understand. You'll usually get a light going on expression when
you trace around it and show someone that it only has one surface.

--
Roger Long

When I was 13, I was obsessed with Mobius strips in every fashion, I
made them from paper, plastic. soldered metal, etc. I tried to make a
Klein Bottle without the "junction" by joining the edge(s) of a mobius
strip with strips and fastening them together, tried to make part of a
Projective Plane, etc. My kids do not share this obsession.

posted to rec.boats,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

You would probably enjoy making your own mobius strip. Much cheaper
and easier to understand. You'll usually get a light going on
expression when you trace around it and show someone that it only has
one surface.

"It only has one edge, but does it have only one PLANE?!" - A Einstein,
genius.

posted to rec.boats,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
ups.com...

Roger Long wrote:
You would probably enjoy making your own mobius strip. Much cheaper and
easier to understand. You'll usually get a light going on expression
when
you trace around it and show someone that it only has one surface.

--
Roger Long

When I was 13, I was obsessed with Mobius strips in every fashion, I
made them from paper, plastic. soldered metal, etc. I tried to make a
Klein Bottle without the "junction" by joining the edge(s) of a mobius
strip with strips and fastening them together, tried to make part of a
Projective Plane, etc. My kids do not share this obsession.

Any Mobius strip you can build has two surfaces, not one. Don't forget to
include the edge (which interestingly it has only one).

The only closed solid with one surface where there is a "hole" in the center
is a torus.

So if one takes a multiple pulley system with a mechanical advatange of 8
and replaces the line with straps sewn to be mobius strips does the
mechanical advantage become 16 or 64?

Gilligan

Gilligan wrote:

Any Mobius strip you can build has two surfaces, not one. Don't
forget to include the edge (which interestingly it has only one).

But who's counting?

If you call the edge a surface, sure it's got two surfaces. If it's an edge
and not a surface than it only has one surface.

--
Roger Long

Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Sure, I remember Cliff Stoll. Thx for the update. I think I'll get
myself one of them there Klein bottles.
posted to rec.boats,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
ups.com...

Roger Long wrote:
You would probably enjoy making your own mobius strip. Much cheaper and
easier to understand. You'll usually get a light going on expression
when
you trace around it and show someone that it only has one surface.

--
Roger Long

When I was 13, I was obsessed with Mobius strips in every fashion, I
made them from paper, plastic. soldered metal, etc. I tried to make a
Klein Bottle without the "junction" by joining the edge(s) of a mobius
strip with strips and fastening them together, tried to make part of a
Projective Plane, etc. My kids do not share this obsession.

My son wasn't into this stuff either and it really bothered me until his
mother pointed out that I should wait till he was older than 18 months. I
faced reality at that point, and put away the Marx Brothers movies, kid
science books, .22 caliber rifle, and assorted fishing poles for a later
date. Now, at 212 months, he's interested in every damned thing.

Be patient.

posted to rec.boats,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Joe Joe is offline

Frogwatch wrote:
Roger Long wrote:

I tried to make a
Klein Bottle without the "junction" by joining the edge(s) of a mobius
strip with strips and fastening them together, tried to make part of a
Projective Plane, etc. My kids do not share this obsession.

My wife has several empty Klein bottles.

Why would your kids want to wear Calvin Klein Obession ?

Joe