posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Dogs on board

I have a Parson Jack Russel Terrier and he is an absolute nightmare on
board, not that he is scared of water or anything likes that. He goes
absolutely off his head if I have to go up on deck or even worse if I
have to go on land. Its an insecurity thing I guess. He may get better
with time but I doubt it.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

We sail with our Afghan hound. She is much happier on the boat than in
the car and we have now gotten used to the fact that she can wedge
herself into a spot in the cockpit and stay on board, even when we are
heeled. She is quiet, certainly quieter than many of the party animals
we have experienced in quiet moorings, always finds a convenient and
comfortable spot when we are at anchor and will willingly jump from the
cockpit to our inflatable. She has now mastered the boarding ladder to
the point where she only needs a small push into the cockpit to get
back aboard.

The downside: she brings bucket loads of sand on-board, has rolled on
the occasional dead fish and regular trips ashore are required. On the
other hand my 6 year old is nearly as much trouble and he wouldn't let
us leave her at home anyway.

We put a life jacket on her with a handle on the back when she is up in
the cockpit. If the weather is rough, even when it's blistering hot,
she'll be in the cockpit, often in the way but the alternative is
cleaning up vomit down below.

The only time she has been really upset on board was when we weathered
a particularily violent squall at anchor. None of us were really all
that happy then either.

Personally, I enjoy a quiet row ashore and a stroll with my son and the
dog but if you don't want to respect a schedule while cruising, then a
dog is not advisable.

Cheers,
Phil

Molesworth wrote:
How do people cater for dogs on voyages? How do they do the sanitation
thing? Do dogs enjoy/hate sailing?

We have a Lab/Basset cross and am wondering how she'll get on on board.

All advice, experiences gratefully received.

Molesworth

Dogs on board Molesworth General 25 December 15th 06 01:11 AM
building boat ladder for dogs Dustin General 5 June 12th 04 05:12 AM
And the Bush lies just keep on coming basskisser General 81 March 12th 04 12:27 PM
OT Bush: Fair and Balanced jps General 38 March 11th 04 12:39 PM