posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Default Real life danger...

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 02:28:34 +0000, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

Not really.

I think you mean "not known".

USCG and a later NTSB ROV survey indicated that two conditions probably
caused the sinking.

I think you mean "possibly" caused the sinking.

The first was leaking hatch covers which was originally rejected by the
NTSB, but after the ROV investigation, they revised their report to
reflect the original USCG determination.

The leaking hatch cover scenario was first advanced by the Company and its
insurance company. It was stated that lax on-board procedures by capt and
crew were the cause. Qui bono here?

A secondary cause was bilge pump vent failure caused by heavy wave
action which caused the Edmond Fitzgerald to list to starboard and it
hit a big wave which caused it to spin in breaking up as it sank.

This is pure speculation on anyone's part. In fact -the only factual
thing- that can be said about the sinking is that the cause is still
unknown. Rogue wave, keelson failure, grounding, mechanical failures,
crew error or any combination of the above are still valid possibilities.

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:42:40 -0500, Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:

Don White wrote:
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 05:04:38 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

I was watching the Sharks game, and they mentioned her, and I said to
myself, "is this the same gal I read about on the NG?" Until this
post, I saw no mention of her being the daughter of the Canadiens GM.
Thanks for the article.

When they first reported it this morning, that was one of the items.

Then again, New England is big hockey terrority.

Unlike Canada. :)

Who do you think taught you the game? http://www.birthplaceofhockey.com/

One would think Canada could play the game better than they do, eh?

hmmm....Salt Lake City....hmmm...what happened?...oh wait it's on the tip
of my tongue....oh that's it...both our teams kicked your arses. Coming
to Whistler? ;-P

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Let's try not to blame the victim here. According to the capt she was in
an area on the stern he referred to as a storm deck, a "safe" and
appropriate place for her to be in these conditions.

Above decks, in the North Atlantic, in Winter... there's no such thing as a
'safe' area above decks in those conditions, even without a storm.

The seas don't tolerate stupidity easily.

Bill Kearney wrote:
Let's try not to blame the victim here. According to the capt she was in
an area on the stern he referred to as a storm deck, a "safe" and
appropriate place for her to be in these conditions.

Above decks, in the North Atlantic, in Winter... there's no such thing as a
'safe' area above decks in those conditions, even without a storm.

The seas don't tolerate stupidity easily.

Aren't you the picture of compassion and respect!

Real life danger... Don White General 41 December 19th 06 12:18 AM
Remarkable device extends battery life and reinvigorates some "dead" batteries [email protected] General 6 March 29th 06 11:25 AM
Just How Safe Do You Feel? Doug Kanter General 34 July 13th 03 06:14 PM