Default Question on Towing

Hello; Love this forum, and I've been reading it for a while. I own a 24'
Bayliner which has a 50 gallon gas tank in the stern engine area. I wonder -
can additional fuel be towed on a large inflatable, like a Zodiac?
Adding larger fuel tanks is not a good idea - it diminishes performance. But
I wonder if with a raft - you could tow along a large fuel supply? Say
another 300 gallons or so?
Currently, my boat is great for LI Sound and the CT River, etc. but 50
gallons doesn't go all that far. I like to have at least 20 gallons in
reserve so I go out using around 15, plan on using 15 to return, and always
have the 20 in the tank for safety - but 15 gallons 'out' doesn't go very
far. So I'm wondering about methods to increase fuel capacity.
Thanks.
John.

Evan Gatehouse2 wrote:

wrote:
Hello; Love this forum, and I've been reading it for a while. I own a 24'
Bayliner which has a 50 gallon gas tank in the stern engine area. I wonder -
can additional fuel be towed on a large inflatable, like a Zodiac?
Adding larger fuel tanks is not a good idea - it diminishes performance. But
I wonder if with a raft - you could tow along a large fuel supply? Say
another 300 gallons or so?
Currently, my boat is great for LI Sound and the CT River, etc. but 50
gallons doesn't go all that far. I like to have at least 20 gallons in
reserve so I go out using around 15, plan on using 15 to return, and always
have the 20 in the tank for safety - but 15 gallons 'out' doesn't go very
far. So I'm wondering about methods to increase fuel capacity.
Thanks.
John.

towing a raft will decrease performance more than having the weight in
your hull, in most circumstances. No free lunch I'm afraid.

I've seen sports fishing boats which towed a 50 gallon barrel of fuel
in a dinghy to Ft. Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas because otherwise,
they could get there, but not get back. Usually a large number of
people on board, so they didn't have room for it on the boat. I guess
the decreased performance on the way out was better on the way back.

Evan Gatehouse

Evan Gatehouse2 wrote in news:45693064$1_1
@news.cybersurf.net:

towing a raft will decrease performance more than having the weight in
your hull, in most circumstances. No free lunch I'm afraid.

He could slow down, even turn off two of the three 250hp outboards and
enjoy the view...(c;

50 gallons will go a LONG ways on a 4-stroke Honda 90!

SLOW DOWN...What's the hurry?!

Larry
--
Guess what I want to do with the Little Drummer Boy's drum
by Christmas Eve....rrrrump..pa-pum...pum...up his bum....

:

towing a raft will decrease performance more than having the weight in
your hull, in most circumstances. No free lunch I'm afraid.

He could slow down, even turn off two of the three 250hp outboards and
enjoy the view...(c;

50 gallons will go a LONG ways on a 4-stroke Honda 90!

SLOW DOWN...What's the hurry?!

I would second that. Assuming that is 50 US gallons of diesel, we
could go nearly 500 nautical miles.

Mika

Haluatko lähettää postia? Vaihda osoitteen
eka (vai oliko se toka?) numero vitonen numeroksi
kahdeksan...

In Matt O'Toole writes:

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 02:44:56 +0000, wrote:

Hello; Love this forum, and I've been reading it for a while. I own a 24'
Bayliner which has a 50 gallon gas tank in the stern engine area. I wonder -
can additional fuel be towed on a large inflatable, like a Zodiac?
Adding larger fuel tanks is not a good idea - it diminishes performance. But
I wonder if with a raft - you could tow along a large fuel supply? Say
another 300 gallons or so?

Towing a load in a Zodiac will diminish performance a lot
more, plus adding potential points of failure and safety problems.

Currently, my boat is great for LI Sound and the CT River, etc. but 50
gallons doesn't go all that far. I like to have at least 20 gallons in
reserve so I go out using around 15, plan on using 15 to return, and
always have the 20 in the tank for safety - but 15 gallons 'out' doesn't
go very far. So I'm wondering about methods to increase fuel capacity.

20 extra gallons is not a big deal. Get a few jerry cans and tie them
down safely. For a more permanent solution, add a tank. With a
relatively common, mainstream boat you should have no trouble finding a
ready-made plastic tank that will fit somewhere.

Matt O.

I do not fancy an idea of loose jerrycans in my boat, so I would not
recommend them to others. If you for some reason decide to go with jerry
cans get a handy siphone pump, so you can get the fuel from one tank to
another without pouring it all over the cockpit. The boat might not
behave wery well in the waves without any power on.

The better idea would be to have another tank and then a fixed fuel
transfer pump to fill the tank you are using for driving.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 20:50:31 -0500, Ryk
wrote:
Loose jerrycans would be a very bad idea because they can smash into
things, so they should always be lashed down. Refilling from jerrycans
underway depends a lot on where the fuel fill is located. From
experience I can say that refilling through a deck plate adjacent to
the cockpit is quite doable in all sorts of situations with minimal
spillage. It's not the best solution, but it can be workable.

A guy on one of the maillists I follow had a good idea. He uses a
length of plastic pipe threaded to match the filler cap. Whip the cap
off, attach the pipe, and you have an extension that let's you pour
from a comfortable height. With even minimal care the chance of a
spill is just about eliminated. But even better, an unexpected wave
that comes on deck doesn't dump salt water in your tank.

Glen
Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/

Another towing question Jim, General 42 October 25th 06 04:04 PM
Great info article for those towing boats... Steve Schertler General 3 August 18th 04 12:28 PM
Great info piece on towing and tongue weight SenZbar site Steve Schertler Cruising 1 August 18th 04 03:14 AM
FS:Marine Business & Towing Service in Florida Seasurplus Marketplace 0 June 11th 04 06:20 PM
Another strip-plank question - a bit long Pete Boat Building 3 January 12th 04 08:03 PM