Default Keel bolts

The tops of my keel bolts, i.e. bolts and nuts, are covered by a solid
resin (I think) cylinder. It looks like someone put cardboard cylinder
around each and filled them with resin.
Is it normal practice to cover the keel bolts like this, or a
do-it-yourself idea?
Are the keel bolts happy in there? The 'casts' hace a few cracks, but I
can't tell if they are deep. Should I take them off? If yes, put
anything else on instead? Ot just leave alone?

Thanks!

wrote in message
oups.com...

The tops of my keel bolts, i.e. bolts and nuts, are covered by a solid
resin (I think) cylinder. It looks like someone put cardboard cylinder
around each and filled them with resin.
Is it normal practice to cover the keel bolts like this, or a
do-it-yourself idea?
Are the keel bolts happy in there? The 'casts' hace a few cracks, but I
can't tell if they are deep. Should I take them off? If yes, put
anything else on instead? Ot just leave alone?

Thanks!

Remove the casts, this is a stupid practice and the bolt heads should be
free to inspect and tweak if necessary. (I assume they are stainless?)

wrote in message
oups.com...

The tops of my keel bolts, i.e. bolts and nuts, are covered by a solid
resin (I think) cylinder. It looks like someone put cardboard cylinder
around each and filled them with resin.
Is it normal practice to cover the keel bolts like this, or a
do-it-yourself idea?
Are the keel bolts happy in there? The 'casts' hace a few cracks, but I
can't tell if they are deep. Should I take them off? If yes, put
anything else on instead? Ot just leave alone?

Thanks!

You shouldn't have any coating on them... same goes for lifelines, stays,
etc.... that PVC deprives the metal of oxygen, promotes rust.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

1980's Newport; do you think they are stainless?
Well, I will uncover them just to see. Thanks!

"Capt. JG" wrote in news:12m6iaprthtaod8
@corp.supernews.com:

that PVC deprives the metal of oxygen, promotes rust.

Hmm...that's a new one. I thought to make Iron Oxide (rust), you needed
the Oxide part....Oxygen. It doesn't rust if I take that away, like
coating it with paint or grease, right?

My Navy musta had it all wrong. They kept making me scrape the perfectly
good paint off it and putting new paint on it so it WOULDN'T rust away. It
seemed to work. Our ship was 1952 and no rust holes, yet!

Larry
--
Turkeys will be cheaper, Friday morning...(sigh)

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in news:12m6iaprthtaod8
@corp.supernews.com:

that PVC deprives the metal of oxygen, promotes rust.

Hmm...that's a new one. I thought to make Iron Oxide (rust), you needed
the Oxide part....Oxygen. It doesn't rust if I take that away, like
coating it with paint or grease, right?

Never heard of crevice corrosion Larry?
Stainless steel is stainless because it is covered by a protective oxide
layer (same principle as with aluminum). Oxygen is needed to maintain this
layer. If you cover SS and block oxygen, corrosion occurs when moisture gets
to the SS and in a salt environment, chlorides attack the SS even worse.

Meindert

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in news:12m6iaprthtaod8
@corp.supernews.com:

that PVC deprives the metal of oxygen, promotes rust.

Hmm...that's a new one. I thought to make Iron Oxide (rust), you needed
the Oxide part....Oxygen. It doesn't rust if I take that away, like
coating it with paint or grease, right?

My Navy musta had it all wrong. They kept making me scrape the perfectly
good paint off it and putting new paint on it so it WOULDN'T rust away.
It
seemed to work. Our ship was 1952 and no rust holes, yet!

Larry
--
Turkeys will be cheaper, Friday morning...(sigh)

Larry, see Dave's reply. Sorry I wasn't more clear... sheesh...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

If the bolts are galvanized steel, the coating might be a good idea.

Agreed that they should be uncovered if stainless. OTOH, that's why
stainless steel isn't the best keelbolt material. Most of the bolt,
the part you can't see, is sealed from that protecting oxygen. Hence,
you never know whether you'll be getting crevice corrosion down where
you can't see it. So, a better material is Monel or Bronze, assuming
lead ballast. (If the ballast is iron, galvanized steel will be
better.)

Capt. JG wrote:
You shouldn't have any coating on them... same goes for lifelines, stays,
etc.... that PVC deprives the metal of oxygen, promotes rust.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

oups.com...

Capt. JG wrote:
You shouldn't have any coating on them... same goes for lifelines, stays,
etc.... that PVC deprives the metal of oxygen, promotes rust.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Perhaps, but that wasn't the question, and I've mostly seen stainless bolts.
I certainly haven't seen any iron lifelines. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Shanghai" wrote in
oups.com:

Agreed that they should be uncovered if stainless. OTOH, that's why
stainless steel isn't the best keelbolt material. Most of the bolt,
the part you can't see, is sealed from that protecting oxygen. Hence,
you never know whether you'll be getting crevice corrosion down where
you can't see it. So, a better material is Monel or Bronze, assuming
lead ballast. (If the ballast is iron, galvanized steel will be
better.)

All you guys also miss the BIG point....."NMMA economics"....

I hope you are all way smart enough to realize that NO boat manufacturer of
ANY boat on the PLANET wants the goddamned boat to LAST past the end of the
warranty period....right?

Do you REALLY think any of them give a **** about how long the keel bolts
are going to last and spend one-thin-dime on making them last any LONGER?

Come on! You people gotta be WAY smarter than that!

Geez......

Larry

Keel bolts [email protected] Boat Building 13 November 30th 06 06:05 AM
keel bolts Don Boat Building 0 September 8th 05 05:09 AM
keel bolts Daniel Boat Building 24 July 6th 05 09:28 AM
Rebedding keel & backing up bolts [email protected] Boat Building 2 November 18th 04 06:08 AM
'1978 25' hunter replace keel bolts James O'Brien Cruising 1 July 7th 04 02:56 AM