Default PO POO

If I had a nickel for every one of these (P)revious (O)wner / (P)issed
(O)ff (O)wner stories that involve 5200, I could probably buy myself
that asymmetrical spinnaker I want.

My two Atkins Hoyle aluminum skylights both need plastic replacement.
I'd hoped to take them home once the shrink wrap went on. Once the
screws came out, I realized they were bedded with the amateur boat
fixers best friend and next owner's worst nightmare. A quick
calculation reveals that a sling attached to each skylight frame could
be use to lift the boat quite comfortably as long as the wood frames
held.

Since it doesn't look like the hinge pins can be easily driven out,
I'll be out there in the spring trying to make a neat job of this in
place. There are also clearly some minor leaks in the bedding as
evidenced by silicone smeared in places and there is now no way to
renew the frame bedding properly.

I wish they had never invented this stuff or at least required
everyone to get a note from their mother before they could buy it.

--

Roger Long

Default 5200 woes (was) PO POO

Hi, Roger,

Roger Long wrote:
A quick
calculation reveals that a sling attached to each skylight frame could
be use to lift the boat quite comfortably as long as the wood frames
held.

Since it doesn't look like the hinge pins can be easily driven out,
I'll be out there in the spring trying to make a neat job of this in
place. There are also clearly some minor leaks in the bedding as
evidenced by silicone smeared in places and there is now no way to
renew the frame bedding properly.

There are softening agents available, and heat does wonders, too, in
enhancing the removability. Is it possible to make a single drill
point through which some strong monofilament could be threaded?

Once started, and the stuff previously softened and then heated, you
can use the mono as a rope saw and deal with the cleanup later.

The same trick will get a doublestick taped whatever off the wall
without worrying about tearing off whatever it's stuck to....

HTH

L8R

Skip, dealing with the fuel leak discovered after putting 20+ gallons
in the tank this week, some of which ended up in the bilge...

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Hey Captain Long ,,, you are getting an asymmetrical spinnaker? That's
great .. me too; I hope.

I have been looking in the used market. Found a couple but haven't had the
balls to pull out the wallet yet.

What would you say are the criteria a sail must meet before you would buy it
( used or new ).