Default What Goes Around....

Background - I've spent a great deal of time trying to find the proper
mounting bracket and pulley for my Jabsco pump on my Perkins 4-154. I
recently found the proper bracket, and posted this to the Morgan group
earlier today...

You may recall that I've been struggling with trying to find a pulley
with a
deeper offset than I have currently. I've devolved into scouring junk
shops
and automotive salvage in order to try to match up to something which
might
work.

Last night, a CSY44 (standard engine 4-154, same as ours) pulled in on
the
opposite side of the travel lift slip, awaiting the deposit, this
morning,
of a new engine/tranny onto their stern so they could take it to
Honduras
where they'll install it. We chatted about my problems in finding a
proper
pulley, and I asked to see their installation, just so I could
recognize one
when I saw it.

They had the Sherwood pump, which uses a turned aluminum pulley and
isn't at
all like the Jabsco I have, unfortunately, so I didn't really learn
anything. However, while I was in there, they asked me if there were
someplace within walking distance which could do some PVC parts, saying
they'd had a failure due to their heat riser.

I didn't see what he was talking about so asked to be shown. Turns out
he
meant the flexible gray water system pipe common to the industry of the
time, the same as we have in original equipment on our boat. Theirs had
contacted an exhaust riser, and melted through at that point, making
their
pressure water useless. However, a simple joint would make it whole for
the
time being, or that section of pipe could be replaced.

So, I told him about that - but he had no fittings or pipe.
Fortunately, I
have a fair amount of stock on that, as I've redone a great deal of my
plumbing, and invited him aboard to pick from my stock. We found what
he
needed in quick order, and he tried to pay me for it. I demurred,
saying
that it probably wasn't 5 bux worth, and he should pass along the
favor.

He was successful in short order and again tried to offer to pay for
it,
with the same results :{)) He's a happy camper, and I'm just doing my
thing.

This morning, I stick my head out and call over to see if he's fixed
up. He
is, but calls back to come over, he's got something I'd like to see. I
head
up and he says he was rummaging around in the old stores which came
with the
boat and found a ziploc full of rust and scale and some round thing.

Sure enough, it's the right pulley. It will go around just fine - so,
what
goes around, comes around. I was able to help refill my karmic bucket
by
also solving another piping problem from my junkpile, a couple of
nipples to
help him patch his bilge pump hose which had also melted against the
exhaust
riser.

The cruising world is just like that...

Pay it forward, and the Secret, two movies which I really like, have
just
shown, yet again, that my philosophy, from childhood, really works in
RL
(real life).

That was the only thing keeping me from getting the engine going. Guess
what I'm doing for the next few days? :{))

Meanwhile, now that I have that opportunity, stay tuned for sea trials.
Diesel guy is coming next (not the immediate upcoming) weekend, so I
have a
deadline to make my fuel system redo get finished, but I'm pretty sure
the
system will be just fine, and we'll be in good order very shortly.

L8R

Skip, ecstatic

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a
clear
night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize that you
are
quite alone on a great, wide sea, it is apt to occur to you that in the
general scheme of things you are merely an insignificant speck on the
surface of the ocean; and are not nearly so important or as
self-sufficient
as you thought you were. Which is an exceedingly wholesome thought, and
one
that may effect a permanent change in your deportment that will be
greatly
appreciated by your friends."- James S. Pitkin
_________________

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in
oups.com:

Pay it forward, and the Secret, two movies which I really like, have
just
shown, yet again, that my philosophy, from childhood, really works in
RL
(real life).

Movies?........(c;

I met a Canadian couple in a nice sloop on the dock that had a Mercedes
diesel with a cracked fuel filter housing noone seemed to be able to get,
even back home. Hmm...lemme call someone.....

I called my independent Mercedes shop, the guys who've kept my old Benzs
running all these years and asked Stephan if he could help them. He
asked if it were ok to bring his boys with him as it was Saturday and he
was baby sitting. The Canadian said sure.

Stephan went to the boat, climbed into the bilge and removed the fuel
filter and housing as his boys looked on. They took it to the shop and
the boys showed the nice Canadian their new shop, closed on Saturday of
course, while Stephan heliarc welded the aluminum housing, repairing it
for good. None of the car diesels had this odd fuel filter from any
years and his search at his suppliers turned up nothing that would fit.

Armed with the repaired filter housing, they all went back to the nice
boat and installed it. The owner, watching the boys looking out in the
harbor from his deck, insisted they needed to spend the rest of the day
"sea trialing" the repaired housing, a total ruse of course. All had a
grand time and it was the first time the little boys had been out of the
harbor into the ocean, something they'll never forget....

There is a sad ending to this story, much later in time. Stephan was
killed, instantly, when his custom made Harley caught a manhole cover
that was sticking up, flipping him off the bike in Downtown Charleston.
His head was crushed between the bike and the curb ending the life of the
finest Mercedes-Benz mechanic you'll ever meet, and one of my
friends....leaving 4 boys without a great father.....

Oh, he refused to take any Canadian dollars for his work on Saturday. He
told the guy it was too hard to "exchange money" in Charleston, another
lie...(c;

I miss him, too.

Larry

That was a great story, until the 2nd to last paragraph. Do
you know if he was wearing a helmet or not?

SBV

"Larry" wrote in message
"Skip Gundlach" wrote in

oups.com:

[...]

"Scotty" wrote in
:

That was a great story, until the 2nd to last paragraph. Do
you know if he was wearing a helmet or not?

No helmet...too much testosterone overcame his brain....

We all do really stupid things. Watch that old goat and his wife casting
off for an offshore voyage, alone, clutching his pacemaker and telling
himself it'll be ok.