Len Len is offline

Default How to measure an ATS

Hello NG-members,

I'm considering an ATS and I'm trying to define the right measurements,
particularly the luff-length.
Are there any rules of thumb that apply here?

What luff-length is appropriate with a forestay-length of 20 meters?

What is the difference in height (re the luff-sheet-eye) between
sailing the ATS a) downwind and b) slightly upwind ?

Thanks and fair winds,

Len.

In article om,
"Len" wrote:

I'm considering an ATS and I'm trying to define the right
measurements, particularly the luff-length. Are there any rules of
thumb that apply here?

What luff-length is appropriate with a forestay-length of 20 meters?

What is the difference in height (re the luff-sheet-eye) between
sailing the ATS a) downwind and b) slightly upwind ?

From a previous post, see
http://sailingsource.com/neilpryde/newslet/19/19-trim.htm for a good
intro.

Luff length is slightly less than the distance from the halyard sheave
and the downhaul turning block, or approximately your forestay length,
maybe a few inches shorter. You definitely want to be able to flatten
the luff for close reaches.

--
Jere Lull
Len Len is offline

Jere Lull wrote:

Luff length is slightly less than the distance from the halyard sheave
and the downhaul turning block, or approximately your forestay length,
maybe a few inches shorter. You definitely want to be able to flatten
the luff for close reaches.

Thanks,

What is your experience with an ATS on downwind courses with say 2 bft
but with a bit of sea from the previous days with 6 bft.
In my expectation an ATS wil stay more or less continuously filled
where other sails start to flap vigourously on the beat of the roll.
Am I being over-optimistic here?

Regards,
Len.

In article .com,
"Len" wrote:

Jere Lull wrote:

Luff length is slightly less than the distance from the halyard sheave
and the downhaul turning block, or approximately your forestay length,
maybe a few inches shorter. You definitely want to be able to flatten
the luff for close reaches.

What is your experience with an ATS on downwind courses with say 2 bft
but with a bit of sea from the previous days with 6 bft.
In my expectation an ATS wil stay more or less continuously filled
where other sails start to flap vigourously on the beat of the roll.
Am I being over-optimistic here?

We flew a UK Flasher for about a decade, a local shop's full cruising
chute for a decade before that, then a new North cruising chute (G2?)
this year, all AFAIK, fuller than the ATS. The North chute is a
*monster*, particularly at the shoulders.

The sail is adjusted to the conditions. When it's sloppy and we're
rolling a lot, the sail has to be sheeted in and the luff flattened to
keep it from collapsing so often.

If you're not comfortable with the conditions, there's nothing wrong
with switching back to the genny.

Chutes are definitely not "set and forget" if you want to use them most
effectively.

--
Jere Lull