Default Chicago to the Mississippi

OK guys (Oh! List of the World)

I know there must be a route from Lake Michigan thro Chicago to the Miss.

Does anyone know either the route, or can point me to a book on the
route?

(It'll help if I know where I'm going!)

Molesworth
DSK DSK is offline

Molesworth wrote:
OK guys (Oh! List of the World)

I know there must be a route from Lake Michigan thro Chicago to the Miss.

There are two, actually. One connects to the lake just south
of the Navy Pier, the other is further south at Calumet and
joins the same route about 15 miles down. Both go by way of
the Illinois River to the Mississippi, thru Joliet & Peoria,
joining the Mississippi at Grafton.

Does anyone know either the route, or can point me to a book on the
route?

(It'll help if I know where I'm going!)

Some beginning reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinoi...Michigan_Canal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago...and_Ship_Canal

Makes it sounds very appetizing, yes? Anyway, my wife & I
are planning to make a cruise of the Great Loop (around the
eastern half of the US) next year, and that includes this
particular waterway; most cruisers go by way of the Ohio &
Tennessee Rivers to the Tenn-Tom Waterway, which is much
more pleasant cruising than the Mississippi. The ones who
have done it say that the best guide to the upper rivers is
Quimby's

https://websvr1.mn1.fasturl.net/ssl/...s-moreinfo.htm

For the Tennessee & Tenn-Tom, the best guide is Fred Myers
http://www.cruisingguide.com/cp/scri...?idCategory=17

For strip charts of the waterways themselves, I've
downloaded most of them from the Army Corps of Engineers but
they keep changing the links, a little Googling will
probably pull them right up.

Maybe we'll see you somewhere along the way!

Fair Skies
Doug King

In article ,
DSK wrote:

Molesworth wrote:
OK guys (Oh! List of the World)

I know there must be a route from Lake Michigan thro Chicago to the Miss.

https://websvr1.mn1.fasturl.net/ssl/...s-moreinfo.htm

*That's* exactly what I wanted!

Maybe we'll see you somewhere along the way!

Thank you very much, Doug. Look out for a big Chris Craft going
backwards or gently rotating...

Molesworth

Made that trip many years ago in a 22 foot sailboat. DSK is right about the
route. I
used a chart book of the Mississippi, which should be available at marine
stores.
Few tips: take big fenders or tires as you have to negotiate some monstrous
locks
where you are either bumping up against a cement wall or some huge tugboat.
Don't
count on finding marinas everywhere. Try and anchor off the river in a slough,
because of huge logs that float down, and the tug boats running all night. Give
those
tows plenty of room, as they cannot control their speed and direction well.
Take
extra parts for your engine, especially the props and cooling system, as there
is plenty of mud and debris in the water.

Not a relaxing trip but certainly an adventure,

Good Luck,

Sherwin D.

Molesworth wrote:

OK guys (Oh! List of the World)

I know there must be a route from Lake Michigan thro Chicago to the Miss.

Does anyone know either the route, or can point me to a book on the
route?

(It'll help if I know where I'm going!)

Molesworth

My family boated on that river for 17 years. Had a great
time and it is a relaxing trip to the Mississippi. If you
stop at Springbrook Marina in Seneca, IL. say Hello to the
owner Jim Thorpe from the Capt. and Crew of the "Mi Davy
Lynn" and enjoy the river.

Capt boots
-----