Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Sailing fast and Loos

So, we're floating, again, and letting the hull settle into its water
configuration, having been out for more that 2.5 years, before we start
tweaking.

The engine alignment is one such; I think I have that handled.
However, the rig is another matter entirely.

I want to tune the rig before we start sailing, and currently all the
shrouds and intermediates save one seem very loose by hand.
Regardless, they're probably not set correctly.

Once the hull's settled in, I expect that a Loos gauge is the way to go
to see the right setup. I have two questions:

First, is it worth the investment to buy one? I'm not a racer, nor
will I ever be. But I expect that a properly tuned rig will be kinder
to the boat, in any event. Is this something which I'd use frequently
or something better done by paying a rigger (the largest tool is what
our boat needs - it's 180 at list) on the occasions when I thought I
needed it?

Second, how does one determine the proper tension for a given boat and
the given stays/shrouds? Or, is that covered in the manual which comes
with the tool?

TIA

L8R

Skip and Lydia, prepping for sea trials