KLC Lewis KLC Lewis is offline

Default Sailing fast and Loos

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
Skip Gundlach wrote:
So, we're floating, again, and letting the hull settle into its water
configuration, having been out for more that 2.5 years, before we start
tweaking.

Hmm, when you say "settle into the water," what do you mean? For the
planks to swell & close up the seams? A fiberglass boat should have
exactly zero "settling" to do.

Not really true. Even the best cradle puts different pressures on the hull
than does the water, and Essie always "settles in" to the water as Skip
referenced. Mostly this isn't much, no more than a fraction of a fraction of
an inch athwartships -- but the companionway door always loosens up after a
few weeks in the water, where the cradle had "pinched" it tighter. The
shrouds also tend to be marginally looser the first few weeks than after
"settling."