Steve

Default Magnet on personal strobe lite??

I have a couple neat personal strobe lites. Made by EverSafe. Really neat,
no exppensive batteries, just a single C cell. Velco arm band, the kind of
equipment you could afford to offer each crew member while on watch..

However! What I can't figure out is; Why Oh Why would they put a strong
circular magnetic in the base. That is the last thing I would want to have
laying about the cockpit or even any random storage location about the boat.
Something like this could drive a navigator crazy if not run the boat
aground, due to compass error.

I'm willing to take the magnets off the lights but the appear to be epoxied
into a recess in the light housing..

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove these magnetic discs without
distroying the water tight unit???

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Armond Perretta

Steve wrote:
I have a couple neat personal strobe lites. Made by EverSafe.
Really neat, no exppensive batteries, just a single C cell. Velco
arm band, the kind of equipment you could afford to offer each crew
member while on watch..

However! What I can't figure out is; Why Oh Why would they put a
strong circular magnetic in the base. That is the last thing I
would want to have laying about the cockpit or even any random
storage location about the boat. Something like this could drive a
navigator crazy if not run the boat aground, due to compass error.

I'm willing to take the magnets off the lights but the appear to be
epoxied into a recess in the light housing..

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove these magnetic discs without
distroying the water tight unit???

Are they magnets for sure, or just weights that allow the lights to float
upright?

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Steve

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message

Are they magnets for sure, or just weights that allow the lights to float
upright?

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://kerrydeare.tripod.com

They are magnets, I'm setting here at the chart table, playing with them..

I can't imagine for what purpose. The engine is the only thing on my boat
that they could stick to.

Still puzzled.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Ron Thornton

Steve,

That's the kind of job I get the air powered die grinder out for. I put
in the 1/8" collet and use those itty bitty bits made for Dremel Tools.
Not knowing what the piece looks like makes it hard to tell you how to
proceed. Just make sure the piece is held firmly in something and you
can rest your hand on something while using the grinder. Kind of like a
dentist drilling a tooth. Works for me.

Ron

Jack Rye

The only thing I can think of why there is a magnet in the bottom of your
type of strobe light. Would be used as an alternative spark free rescue
light using a magnetic reed switch. I have seen other lights with this type
of switch. Hopes this helps

Jack

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

RichH

The magnet in the switch provides a waterproof means of switching the
strobe off and on. With the magnets removed ... how will you swtich
on/off the strobes ... and still keep them dry?
I keep/store mine FAR away from the binnacle and FAR away from the
fluxgate compass. I keep the strobes in the SAME place all the time and
have 'swung'/compensated both compasses with the strobes in their place.

Steve wrote:
I have a couple neat personal strobe lites. Made by EverSafe. Really neat,
no exppensive batteries, just a single C cell. Velco arm band, the kind of
equipment you could afford to offer each crew member while on watch..

However! What I can't figure out is; Why Oh Why would they put a strong
circular magnetic in the base. That is the last thing I would want to have
laying about the cockpit or even any random storage location about the boat.
Something like this could drive a navigator crazy if not run the boat
aground, due to compass error.

I'm willing to take the magnets off the lights but the appear to be epoxied
into a recess in the light housing..

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove these magnetic discs without
distroying the water tight unit???

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Richard Ruminski

Or, if left to float free it acts like a compass,,,,try it.

Ric
Subject: Magnet on personal strobe lite??
From: "Steve"

I can't imagine for what purpose. The engine is the only thing on my

boat
that they could stick to.

Still puzzled.

I have one and I'd guess they are sold for other uses. Like to stick on

the
roof of your car.
Just keep them a few feet away from your compass.

Capt. Bill

Keith

They use magnetic switches to keep the unit waterproof! If you remove the
magnets, they won't work.

--

Keith
__
"Steve" wrote in message

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message

Are they magnets for sure, or just weights that allow the lights to

float
upright?

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://kerrydeare.tripod.com

They are magnets, I'm setting here at the chart table, playing with them..

I can't imagine for what purpose. The engine is the only thing on my boat
that they could stick to.

Still puzzled.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

LaBomba182

From: RichH

From: "Keith"

They use magnetic switches to keep the unit waterproof! If you remove the
magnets, they won't work.

I have one and believe me, the magnet has nothing to do with switching the unit
on. It's on the bottom of the unit and about all it could be used for is
sticking the unit on a ferris metal object.

Capt. Bill