Default Navigation Courses ?

Hi

I live quite some distance from a capital city ie about 180kms from the
closest navigation course

Does anyone know of any on-line or self-study basic nav courses I could opt
for ?

thanks

Hoges in WA (that's Western Australian, not Washington)

Hoges in WA wrote:
Hi

I live quite some distance from a capital city ie about 180kms from the
closest navigation course

Does anyone know of any on-line or self-study basic nav courses I could opt
for ?

thanks

Hoges in WA (that's Western Australian, not Washington)

Sure do...try..
http://www.cps-ecp.ca/english/course_pricelist2005.html

I hope everything is calculated the same...considering you guys are
'upside down'.

"Don White" wrote in message
Hoges in WA wrote:
Hi

I live quite some distance from a capital city ie about 180kms from the
closest navigation course

Does anyone know of any on-line or self-study basic nav courses I could
opt for ?

thanks

Hoges in WA (that's Western Australian, not Washington)

Sure do...try..
http://www.cps-ecp.ca/english/course_pricelist2005.html

I hope everything is calculated the same...considering you guys are
'upside down'.

thanks Don. Looks just like what I wanted.

I guess the major difference down here is that N and S are extremely
important - I think up your way, N is sometimes assumed, or left unsaid.

Terry Hogan

Hoges in WA wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

Hoges in WA wrote:

Hi

I live quite some distance from a capital city ie about 180kms from the
closest navigation course

Does anyone know of any on-line or self-study basic nav courses I could
opt for ?

thanks

Hoges in WA (that's Western Australian, not Washington)

Sure do...try..
http://www.cps-ecp.ca/english/course_pricelist2005.html

I hope everything is calculated the same...considering you guys are
'upside down'.

thanks Don. Looks just like what I wanted.

I guess the major difference down here is that N and S are extremely
important - I think up your way, N is sometimes assumed, or left unsaid.

Terry Hogan

All the charts I've seen have North at the top.
Of course we have that big chunk of magnetic iron in north central
Canada, so where I live magnetic north is about 21 or so degrees west of
true north.

Hoges in WA wrote:

Hi

I live quite some distance from a capital city ie about 180kms from the
closest navigation course

Does anyone know of any on-line or self-study basic nav courses I could opt
for ?

thanks

Hoges in WA (that's Western Australian, not Washington)

Fremantle TAFE used to do a correspondence course
with tapes and maps.
ring them and check

"shaun" wrote in message
Hoges in WA wrote:

Hi

I live quite some distance from a capital city ie about 180kms from the
closest navigation course

Does anyone know of any on-line or self-study basic nav courses I could
opt for ?

thanks

Hoges in WA (that's Western Australian, not Washington)

Fremantle TAFE used to do a correspondence course
with tapes and maps.
ring them and check

Sorry for late reply - been in Qld around Caloundra for a while.
I checked the TAFE site - no correspondence any more - eLearning now. The
coastal navigation unit is offered part time in the evenings but not online.
Pity - I had a friend do it many years ago and he was very happy with what
he learnt.
Hoges in WA

For a starter, check with the Canadian Sail and Power Squadron at
http://www.cps-ecp.ca/courses/eng/piloting.htm.
Advance distance courses are available only to members. However they may
refer you to one of your local Power Squadron.
I have found out that those who took this type of classroom course without
on the water practice had problem to assimilate the course.

wrote in message
For a starter, check with the Canadian Sail and Power Squadron at
http://www.cps-ecp.ca/courses/eng/piloting.htm.
Advance distance courses are available only to members. However they may
refer you to one of your local Power Squadron.
I have found out that those who took this type of classroom course without
on the water practice had problem to assimilate the course.

[snipped]

I checked that out when Don suggested it. I saw the bit about members only
for the advanced, too.

I agree with your comment about practice - theory's fine but putting it to
use is where it counts.

Hoges in WA

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 12:18:11 GMT, "Hoges in WA"
wrote:

Hi

I live quite some distance from a capital city ie about 180kms from the
closest navigation course

Does anyone know of any on-line or self-study basic nav courses I could opt
for ?

thanks

Hoges in WA (that's Western Australian, not Washington)

Take a look at the book "Dutton's Navigation and Pilioting". It's a
decent overview of the art, deeper than most people will ever want to
go. There is a companion book with problems and answers for each
chapter. The main book also works well as a reference.

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/