MJ

Default Importing a sailboat in Miami

I have bought a sailboat from a european guy and need to import it into
US.

I'm told I need to find a specialized custom broker who knows how to do
something like this.

I need to find someone in Miami.

Can you recommend someone effective and reasonably priced in Miami,
preferably close to Miami Port or Miami Beach?

Thanks a lot

Yachtbroker

you will need a customs house broker. there is only one really that does boats
that everyone use. I cant find their name right now but ifyou call Jan Saxton
Yacht
documentaiton in Ft. lauderdale they will giveyou the guys name.
shipping sources are sevenseas and
yacht-transport.com hope this helps.
Dick Locke

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 22:24:42 GMT, MJ
wrote:

I have bought a sailboat from a european guy and need to import it into
US.

I'm told I need to find a specialized custom broker who knows how to do
something like this.

I need to find someone in Miami.

Can you recommend someone effective and reasonably priced in Miami,
preferably close to Miami Port or Miami Beach?

Thanks a lot

I wouldn't pay too much to a customs broker to do this.

All you need to do is to determine the right customs classification,
and document the country of manufacture and document the price you
paid....plus things you added. The duty is 1.5% from any country that
makes boats, plus a .21% processing fee with a max processing fee of
$485.

Customs classification can be complex but this looks like a
no-brainer: The number is 8903.91.00.25 if the boat is not over 9.2
meters long and has an engine and 8903.91.00.35 if it's over 9.2
meters. You might need advice if the stated length is less than 9.2
meters and the overall length is longer. . Here's the classification
scheme: http://dataweb.usitc.gov/scripts/tariff/0310c89.pdf

The only time I can think of where you might be required to have a
customs broker is if you aren't with the boat when it clears customs.
If you happen to be shipping the boat, the freight forwarder can
handle all this.
Dick Locke

wrote:

I have bought a sailboat from a european guy and need to import it into
US.

I'm told I need to find a specialized custom broker who knows how to do
something like this.

I need to find someone in Miami.

Can you recommend someone effective and reasonably priced in Miami,
preferably close to Miami Port or Miami Beach?

Thanks a lot

Some further info
http://www.cbp.gov/ImageCache/cgov/c.../publications/
pleasureboats_2edoc/v1/pleasureboats.doc

Any slips in Southern California for 43 foot sailboat? Jim General 7 June 4th 04 04:38 AM
Road trip to Miami jake General 0 March 7th 04 02:04 PM
Help! Want to build small nesting sailboat. sandy Boat Building 5 January 20th 04 03:32 PM
Importing a sailboat in Miami MJ General 2 August 9th 03 11:49 PM
Sailboat, 1999 Hunter 410, 41' Asking Price: $162,000 US Reduced from $174,000 US richlady Boat Building 0 July 25th 03 03:21 AM