Dick Locke

Default Importing a sailboat in Miami

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 22:24:42 GMT, MJ
wrote:

I have bought a sailboat from a european guy and need to import it into
US.

I'm told I need to find a specialized custom broker who knows how to do
something like this.

I need to find someone in Miami.

Can you recommend someone effective and reasonably priced in Miami,
preferably close to Miami Port or Miami Beach?

Thanks a lot

I wouldn't pay too much to a customs broker to do this.

All you need to do is to determine the right customs classification,
and document the country of manufacture and document the price you
paid....plus things you added. The duty is 1.5% from any country that
makes boats, plus a .21% processing fee with a max processing fee of
$485.

Customs classification can be complex but this looks like a
no-brainer: The number is 8903.91.00.25 if the boat is not over 9.2
meters long and has an engine and 8903.91.00.35 if it's over 9.2
meters. You might need advice if the stated length is less than 9.2
meters and the overall length is longer. . Here's the classification
scheme: http://dataweb.usitc.gov/scripts/tariff/0310c89.pdf

The only time I can think of where you might be required to have a
customs broker is if you aren't with the boat when it clears customs.
If you happen to be shipping the boat, the freight forwarder can
handle all this.