Default analog bag phone

I have recently come into possession of an analog bag phone and remember
that there has been mention
of this device on several occasions in the past but can't recall it's merit,
if any.

Please refresh my memory.

Thank you,
Courtney

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in
ink.net:

I have recently come into possession of an analog bag phone and
remember that there has been mention
of this device on several occasions in the past but can't recall it's
merit, if any.

Please refresh my memory.

Thank you,
Courtney

Keep it handy! Unlike that tiny, as I call them, "toyphone" in your
pocket, the old, trust, POWERFUL, 3 watt bagphone with its higher gain
antenna puts out substantially more signal for those emergencies where
you really need to make that call to emergency services.

Every phone, on any service or no service at all, like your bagphone, is
required by law to provide 911 emergency service to the 911 center
nearest its cell tower. You pay for it on your regular cellphone as one
of the damned addon charges they seem to have no limit on adding. Don't
feel guilty the bagphone isn't paying by the month...you are...(c;

Every boat, car and truck should have a cigarette lighter-powered ol'
reliable bagphone stashed away in it somewhere. It never needs periodic
charging as it has no battery. If your's has a battery and a cig plug,
turn the battery in for recycling as we're always going to power it from
the car/boat/truck battery. If you turn off all the loads, like interior
lights in a car, and leave the "dead" car battery set for 5 minutes,
there's plenty of power left in it to make hours of bagphone calls to
911.

I've also, quite successfully, called 611 to the cellphone gods and
schmoozed them into temporarily activating the bagphone so I can make an
important call from their dead zones. "Hello? Ah, there you are! I'm
trying to make a very important phone call, but my little cellphone
"they" told me would work anywhere in the city seems dead. Can you
activate this phone just so I can make calls until I can come in and get
it fixed?" A little begging helps, too. Now on your knees, groveling
pitifully and not blaming them for poor service you know in your heart is
ALL THEIR FAULT, they take pity on you and press a few keys to swap
phones over to the bagphone. You, again, have phone service for the
important calls. Once, I forgot to switch it back for 4 years, enjoying
the notoriety of making calls from a restaurant with it, or having it
RING, a ring that can wake-the-dead as their pitiful little toyphones
never rings loud enough so you can hear it good...(c; After the
important calls, whenever you're ready, call 611 back from the toyphone
and say, "This phone must have been in a dead spot you have on Mulholland
Drive, but it's working fine now.", having called 611 from your toyphone,
not the bagphone. "Can you switch it back? I seems fine, now.",
sounding as much like a complete klutz as you can. The new guy, unaware
of your situation except for the note on your account, will push a few
more keys and your toyphone will be activated, again. Thank him and ask
him why there's no signal for the little phone they want $300 for on
Mulholland Drive to emphasize the point...(c; Never sound like you know
anything. Cellphone employees must NEVER feel you know more than they
do. That's not in the training manual.

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.

"Keith" wrote in news:1157629629.343189.320380
@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Good luck getting it activated. Most cell networks won't even activate
an analog phone any longer. Call around and see what you find out.

No "activation" is necessary. 911 service doesn't require activation.

It's only good in emergencies where it really shines with power and range.

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.

Larry,

Wasn't it possible to use them with an acoustic coupler and modem ?

Is this now impossible ?

Thank you again,

Courtney

"Larry" wrote in message
"Keith" wrote in

@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Good luck getting it activated. Most cell networks won't even activate
an analog phone any longer. Call around and see what you find out.

No "activation" is necessary. 911 service doesn't require activation.

It's only good in emergencies where it really shines with power and range.

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 09:35:12 -0400, Larry wrote:

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in
link.net:

I have recently come into possession of an analog bag phone and
remember that there has been mention
of this device on several occasions in the past but can't recall it's
merit, if any.

Please refresh my memory.

Thank you,
Courtney

Every phone, on any service or no service at all, like your bagphone, is
required by law to provide 911 emergency service to the 911 center
nearest its cell tower. You pay for it on your regular cellphone as one
of the damned addon charges they seem to have no limit on adding. Don't
feel guilty the bagphone isn't paying by the month...you are...(c;

Err, I think you are being a bit US-centric....

"Courtney Thomas" wrote:

Larry,

Wasn't it possible to use them with an acoustic coupler and modem ?

Is this now impossible ?

I use mine for pocketmail. which is kind of the same thing.

"Larry" wrote in message
.. .
"Keith" wrote in

@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Good luck getting it activated. Most cell networks won't even activate
an analog phone any longer. Call around and see what you find out.

No "activation" is necessary. 911 service doesn't require activation.

It's only good in emergencies where it really shines with power and range.

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.

"Dick Locke" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 09:35:12 -0400, Larry wrote:

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in
hlink.net:

I have recently come into possession of an analog bag phone and
remember that there has been mention
of this device on several occasions in the past but can't recall it's
merit, if any.

Please refresh my memory.

Thank you,
Courtney

Every phone, on any service or no service at all, like your bagphone, is
required by law to provide 911 emergency service to the 911 center
nearest its cell tower. You pay for it on your regular cellphone as one
of the damned addon charges they seem to have no limit on adding. Don't
feel guilty the bagphone isn't paying by the month...you are...(c;

Err, I think you are being a bit US-centric....

I believe Larry's statement is correct for Canada. Any cellphone, contract
or no, will get you through to 911.

Err, I think you are being a bit US-centric....

And without the original poster saying so it's reasonable to guess. Given
the use of an ISP in the US, along with an IP address in Atlanta it's
likewise a reasonable guess.

Telus and Bel in Canada both plan to drop analog service within the
next 12 months. A bag phone as ANY cell phone in Canada will connect
to 911 whether there is a contract on that phone or not.

Modems are available for 3 watt bag phones. They are expensive and
limited to 9600 baud.

I have a bag phone and have no idea what I will replace it with. Based
on my experience with having guests on board with those cute 'lil do
all cell phones (they do all except pick up a signal) I don't think I
will be happy with anything that is on the market today.

Just *try* to find "power output" in the "specs" of a new cell phone.
The sales people can show you how to surf the net (while in a mall),
and God knows how handy THAT is while on a boat).... but they can't
tell you which model packs the most punch.

If there is an alternative... pls lemme know eh?

"Spammy"

(keeps the bots at bay)

.. On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 09:11:22 -0700, Dick Locke