Dennis O'Connor

Default Cruisers attacked in Columbia - 4 sep events (LONG)

No easy answers really... If you show a gun then you have to be willing to
kill, immediately, without hesitation, or it will be taken away and used on
you...

Short of killing: Mace is essentially worthless... A determined individual
can ignore it... The pepper sprays that police and military have are
effective... You may have to do a bit of searching and begging, but if you
are determined you can get the police strength stuff... No one can walk
through this industrial strength pepper spray if you get them in the face...
They will hit the deck, guaranteed...
A conductive pattern glassed to the deck that can be electrified with a
electric fence charger - get the type intended for bulls and with the weed
burner capability - will definitely be a deterrent to the first one hopping
aboard with wet shoes or bare feet. Sandals cut from old car tires probably
will resist the electric, though... . Having the lifeline around the deck
charged will help significantly. Having a charge on the hatch
handles/padlocks will help...
A less lethal firearm that is legal in most countries is the flare gun... A
variety of 12 gauge projectiles can be had for that, including my favorite a
12 gauge trap shooting cartridge with the BB's removed and filled with rock
salt...
The new laser/strobe lights with the blinding, blue-green light are quite
effective at forcing people to back off, giving you time to them hit them
with the pepper spray... A Taser is very effective at stopping someone
temporarily...
The biggest problem you will face is what to do if they don't withdraw after
they are sprayed or shocked... At that time you may have to resort to
lethal force... Also, it is a lot tougher once they have boarded, to get
them to back off...

My best recommendation is a high pressure water pump, the 3000 psi variety,
preventing them from boarding as long as they don't have guns...I use one
for washing down the bulldozers, the barns, etc., and they will reach out 20
feet and literally knock you down... I have treated wounds from getting a
hand in front of these high pressure sprays and they can be nasty... You
will have the issue of making sure the engine will start on the first pull
and run reliably...

Finally, the best cure is prevention... Simply do not sail in the parts of
the world where these attacks are reported... You may feel that this denies
you the right to pass wherever in the world you choose... The scum out
there that intend to steal, rape, and murder don't care about your rights.

Denny

"Don W." wrote in message
Oh boy, here we go again on the guns on board vs. no guns on

Default Cruisers attacked Three stories...

****in weird eh? wow a ****in yank is harrassed and he is allowed to
kill . Well here we go 9/11

Maybe you ****in arseholes should start respecting other peoples
lives.
I know you yanks think you're above the law but maybe if you didn't go
round the world thinking that its ok to kill the ****ing natives 'cos,
like they are not civilised because like, they're not american then
maybe the natives will start actually liking you

but for a country founded upon genocide I know that that's a concept
a step too far........

oh yeah, I know there a few grammatical errors......

thats if any of you understand the word grammatical

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 20:39:28 GMT, "Larry Starr"
wrote:

For no rhyme or reason here are three quick true stories (true id's
obscured).

1. A couple made their first long hard cruise. Arrive Haiti late afternoon
(day one) . Illiterate , brand X officials (3) visit insist on cigarettes
and some cash, issue verbal approval for stay. That night same individuals
visit again, out of uniform, gotta have gasoline! Next day other boats begin
to move in closer and closer. Second night more visits more presents given
and the cruiser's shotguns are loaded and kept close. No sleep again. Third
day promised more of same and the need to sleep requires they sail away and
they're not going back.

2. A frequent visitor to a tropical island was boarded by a knife wielding
person intent on robbery or whatever. The sailor shot and killed attacker.
Remains went overboard and sailor left immediately. No regrets, no problems.

3. In a Mediteranean port an American was harrassed and assaulted by two
hooligans. From fear and inexperience sailor killed the attackers w/ a
shotgun. Sailor went to jail. After about 6 months ( in jail ) the full
police report revealed that the deceased were bad boys with long records and
had been very dangerous. The legal system allowed the sailor to return to
his boat to await his murder trial. Sailor rightly presumed that the
police/judge were giving him an option to flee, with his boat. He left, no
problemo...

It seems that, like lightening, an attack anywhere should be avoided, above
all, because it is a loser for sure. The only variable is lose how much? In
most places guns won't help cuz ; A. They are contraband, legit guy goes to
jail. B. Legit guy will be out gunned.

Belize is said to be gun-integrated.

LS

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:09:34 -0400, Bill Kearney wrote:

Right like european colonialism didn't start this whole cluster****.

of course...

The US is just left cleaning up your ****ing mess.

but this bit is just too funny...you gomers actually believe this
stuff...OMG!!

wrote:

Right like european colonialism didn't start this whole cluster****. The US
is just left cleaning up your ****ing mess.

Grammar isn't the problem, not understanding HISTORY is the problem.

****in weird eh? wow a ****in yank is harrassed and he is allowed to
kill . Well here we go 9/11

Maybe you ****in arseholes should start respecting other peoples
lives.
I know you yanks think you're above the law but maybe if you didn't go
round the world thinking that its ok to kill the ****ing natives 'cos,
like they are not civilised because like, they're not american then
maybe the natives will start actually liking you

but for a country founded upon genocide I know that that's a concept
a step too far........

oh yeah, I know there a few grammatical errors......

thats if any of you understand the word grammatical

It probably doesn't meet with your misconceptions but we recently had
a killing here in Phuket.

A German clad in a wet suit swam out into Chalong Bay and boarded an
French boat, on board which was the French owner and his Thai
girlfriend. The "frogman" attacked the Frenchman with a home made
pistol and a knife. the Frenchman defended himself with a fishing
gaff. After several minutes of battle in which both the Frenchman and
the German were both wounded the German leaped overboard. The
Frenchman's girlfriend notified the police who came to the boat and
evacuated the Frenchman to the hospital. The German Frogman's body was
later found floating in the bay - death was stated to be caused by
bleeding from the gaff wounds. The Frenchman was released from the
hospital after several days and was aboard his boat when last heard
of.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

wrote:

[...]

====
Bruce,, the German was a frogman? And the Frenchman had a Thai girlfriend?
This makes no sense. I thought all French men were Gay. And.. a French man
is
sometimes refered to as a Frog.. so.. as for the German? He wanted the Thai
girlfriend. What's wrong with that?

If it were me :: I would lure the Frog, aka=Frenchman, away with a floating
penis.
Then? Where is the Thai girlfriend .. oh boy oh boy oh boy..

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:39:38 GMT, "Thomas, Spring Point Light"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Just pointed out that we had a Murder involving a Yachtie, right here
in Phuket, and contrary to the OP, above it didn't involve, even
peripherally, an American. Just a couple of E.U. whusses.
Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 19:17:08 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

Just pointed out that we had a Murder involving a Yachtie, right here
in Phuket

Sounded like self defense to me. Think I'll go out and sharpen up the
fishing gaff.

wrote:

Just pointed out that we had a Murder involving a Yachtie, right here
in Phuket

Sounded like self defense to me. Think I'll go out and sharpen up the
fishing gaff.

Which brings up a thought. You can't take a firearm to Canada, nor
mace or pepper spray and probably not a stun gun. But how about those
cans of wasp spray that shoot about 20 feet?
Gordon

wrote:

Just pointed out that we had a Murder involving a Yachtie, right here
in Phuket

Sounded like self defense to me. Think I'll go out and sharpen up the
fishing gaff.

Which brings up a thought. You can't take a firearm to Canada, nor mace
or pepper spray and probably not a stun gun. But how about those cans of
wasp spray that shoot about 20 feet?
Gordon

If it's flamable, all you need is a bic lighter.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com