Default Need General opinions on Cheoy Lee built boats

I am looking at a 1976 41 foot ketch. Was wondering if anyone out
there had any experience with the general construction of these boats.
This one still has all the bright work on the deck and I have heard
that can be the cause of a lot of leaks, Any other general thoughts on
construction, sailing performance? I am looking at it as a low cost
blue water cruiser. Masts have been changed to Aluminum and the boat
rerigged about 3 years ago.

Ironhorse, HSB#96, SENS BS#187
2001 Ultraclassic with Sidecar
96 Custom bucket of bolts (gone but not forgotten)

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 20:43:47 -0700, Ironhorse
wrote:

I am looking at a 1976 41 foot ketch. Was wondering if anyone out
there had any experience with the general construction of these boats.
This one still has all the bright work on the deck and I have heard
that can be the cause of a lot of leaks, Any other general thoughts on
construction, sailing performance? I am looking at it as a low cost
blue water cruiser. Masts have been changed to Aluminum and the boat
rerigged about 3 years ago.

Great looking boats when maintained well but require *lots* of TLC.

Relatively heavy, not speed demons but reasonably sea kindly.

Known in some circles as Cheoy Leakys.

Bob Bob is offline

Ironhorse wrote:
I am looking at a 1976 41 foot ketch. I am looking at it as a low cost
blue water cruiser. Masts have been changed to Aluminum and the boat
rerigged about 3 years ago.

Hi

My dad had one. Hallow wood box ketch masts........ uggg.
teak over glass deck............ ugggg. (thus the leaky comment)

great looking pirate boat.

lots off room inside.

Inexpensive crusing boat?!?!?!? Is there such a thing?

Can you find the fuel tank/ Ask yourself, how much will it take to
replace it. Because it will need replacing.

Now rebed every peice of deck hardware.
Replace all portlights.

Dont even look behnd the 35 yearold DC pannel.............. Your
looking at $6000 for a yard to bring you into the 1990s. Oh, and when
the yard say $2500-$3000 just smile becuse it will be 6K by time they
finish.

Or hey, gut it and go sailing.

Bob.