Default Monomatic system

Just purchased a74 Gibson House with a Monomatic San. System.
Have no idea how it works,or if it still does work. Can I get some help with
this.

Stevie524 wrote:
Just purchased a74 Gibson House with a Monomatic San. System.
Have no idea how it works,or if it still does work. Can I get some help with
this.

The Monogram Monomatic is a recirculating toilet that--along with a
couple other recirculators--was only around for short time in the late
'70s....it was discontinued around 1980...no parts have been available
since at least 1985.

How it works: The tank holds 5 gallons, 3 of which are mix of chemical
(no longer available either) and water. That witches brew becomes both
the flush water AND the holding tank...you get to inspect--and smell,
along with the chemical--the previous deposits with each new use. When
the tank is full, push a button to discharge the tank overboard at sea
or have it pumped out.

My advice: Replace it with a decent quality marine toilet and tank or
treatment device.

--
Peggie
----------

Btw...I'll be glad to help you choose the right system for your use and
budget, but it'll have to keep for a couple of weeks...I'm off to Alaska
for 10 days in the morning.
--
Peggie
----------

"Stevie524" u25303@uwe wrote in news:64c884647d5fb@uwe:

Just purchased a74 Gibson House with a Monomatic San. System.
Have no idea how it works,or if it still does work. Can I get some
help with this.

Although I had a great-working Monomatic toilet someone gave me out of
their Airstream trailer because it grossed-out their wife, I have to
agree with Peggie. The EPA didn't like the formaldehyde used to keep the
waste from growing anything and the sewer systems didn't like it killing
off their waste treatment plants, so they banned the chemicals it ran on.

However, you can still get formaldehyde from many places and the
Monomatic recirc toilet will run for weeks without a dump station. I had
one in a Class C motorhome. It replaced an RV dump toilet and was
sitting on a 25 gallon holding tank. Between the recirc's long use and
dumping it into the holding tank, I think I needed to visit the dump
station once a year, if I wanted to stretch it. It sure made great
vacations, not having to search for a dump station for the whole trip.

There's a self-cleaning filter the "liquid" is filtered with before it
flushes it back into the bowl. It smells like formaldehyde, not "you
know what", which is what also lead to its demise. Airlines used them
because maintenance and capacity, not to mention weight were minimal.

Mine never failed, even though it was second hand. I lived in the
motorhome for 3 years during the ownership and it got lots of use.

Peggie's right. Put in a stinky marine toilet you can get parts for
before you get stuck.

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.