Default Toughened or laminated glass for yacht

Hi, I'm am going to be replacing my Lexon windows on my Roberts 37
soon. I want to use glass instead of the existing 3mm polycarbonate.
Anyone know which would be best to use? The laminated glass has a sheet
of plastic between two peices of normal glass I think. I would probibly
use 7-8 mm glass.
Thanks

Any local glass specialty supply will be able to supply and cut the
laminated glass you need. There is a special 'problem' with laminated
glass when used in the marine environment ...... the laminate in the
middle of the 'sandwich' will eventually discolor and separate from the
glass. To prevent this you MUST seal the edges of the glass with an
epoxy, etc. so that the caulk you use does not eventually react with
the center laminate. Talk to your glass supplier about what they use
to seal the edges.

In article . com,
wrote:

Hi, I'm am going to be replacing my Lexon windows on my Roberts 37
soon. I want to use glass instead of the existing 3mm polycarbonate.
Anyone know which would be best to use? The laminated glass has a sheet
of plastic between two peices of normal glass I think. I would probibly
use 7-8 mm glass.
Thanks

Thanks very much. I have found out on the net that toughened glass
doesn't sound too good as if it does break your left with a hole. I
have emailed Pilkington in New Zealand about their Optilam and
LamGuard glass and will remember to check about the edges.
Cheers,
asdex

deck hatches Nigel Boat Building 16 November 18th 05 02:43 AM
deck hatches Nigel Cruising 15 November 18th 05 02:43 AM
ATC vs. Glass Tube Fuses Steve Electronics 1 April 2nd 04 02:22 PM
Windows for pilothouse Adam Boat Building 15 November 12th 03 05:26 PM