Default Cruising South via the St Lawrence

I plan to take my 35 foot sailboat south down the ICW from Lake
Ontario this fall. The Erie Canal may have a closed lock and want to
plan an alternative down the St Lawrence then into Lake
Champlain. Does anyone have information about the locks on the St
Lawrence seaway and/or other comments about this route? What charts
would I need? Thanks.

On 21 Jul 2006 04:35:05 -0700, "Sandpiper 35"
wrote:

I plan to take my 35 foot sailboat south down the ICW from Lake
Ontario this fall. The Erie Canal may have a closed lock and want to
plan an alternative down the St Lawrence then into Lake
Champlain. Does anyone have information about the locks on the St
Lawrence seaway and/or other comments about this route? What charts
would I need? Thanks.

You will need the following Canadian charts for the St Lawrence River,
Richelieu River and Chambly Canal:

CHS 1435, CHS 1434, CHS 1433, CHS 1432, CHS 1350 and CHS 1351.

There are also some chartbooks available:

http://www.pilothousecharts.com/Hudson.htm

http://www.lakechamplainpub.com/cata...Hudson_Adj.asp

The Seaway locks are cash on the barrel head at each lock, Canadian
money accepted. I believe the charge is $20 per lock.

http://www.greatlakes-seaway.com/en/.../handbook.html

There are sometimes considerable delays waiting to be locked through
because commercial shipping is given priority.

wrote:

I plan to take my 35 foot sailboat south down the ICW from Lake
Ontario this fall. The Erie Canal may have a closed lock and want to
plan an alternative down the St Lawrence then into Lake
Champlain. Does anyone have information about the locks on the St
Lawrence seaway and/or other comments about this route? What charts
would I need? Thanks.

You will need the following Canadian charts for the St Lawrence River,
Richelieu River and Chambly Canal:

CHS 1435, CHS 1434, CHS 1433, CHS 1432, CHS 1350 and CHS 1351.

There are also some chartbooks available:

http://www.pilothousecharts.com/Hudson.htm

Many thanks. A most helpful reply.

HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
FS: PARLAY 40 CRUISING CATAMARAN - BUILT IN SOUTH AFRICA [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 24th 04 02:33 PM
FS: PARLAY 40 CRUISING CATAMARAN - BUILT IN SOUTH AFRICA [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 8th 04 12:19 PM
FS: PARLAY 40 CRUISING CATAMARAN - BUILT IN SOUTH AFRICA [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 11th 04 03:14 PM
FS: PARLAY 40 CRUISING CATAMARAN - BUILT IN SOUTH AFRICA [email protected] Marketplace 0 November 14th 03 09:26 AM