Default Sewage pump out statistic

This from our state DEP pump out program:

"The untreated sewage from two people on one boat can contribute the
same amount of bacteria to a harbor as the treated discharge from a
town of 10,000 people."

Let's see, about 70,000 people in Portland. The whole city's
bacterial output (after treatment) could be duplicated by 14 people?!

--

Roger Long

Roger Long wrote:
This from our state DEP pump out program:

"The untreated sewage from two people on one boat can contribute the
same amount of bacteria to a harbor as the treated discharge from a
town of 10,000 people."

Let's see, about 70,000 people in Portland. The whole city's
bacterial output (after treatment) could be duplicated by 14 people?!

We sailors do tend to eat and drink rather heavily!

Here's a good on from Larry Z.
________________________
To add a little more confusion to the marine water pollution arguments,
the
journal SCIENCE (29 Mar. 2002) reported on a study which tracked the
biological sources of fecal bacterial in Virginia watersheds. Only 15%
of E.
coli bacteria had a human origin (i.e. septic runoff and boat
discharge). The
remainder came from other animal hosts, the largest contributor being
waterfowl with 32.5% of the total. Similar studies are being carried
out in
California, Washington, and Oregon.

Whats next? Diapers for geese?

A red herring. The principal contributors are sea birds and agricultural
run off.

In THEORY that may be true assuming that the sewage treatment plant is
working up to the standard 200 E-coli colonies/liter. But a single
malfunction, as has happened on more than one occasion, can contribute as
much as several million boaters. Even a heavy rain can drive most treatment
plants over the limit by 1,000 times or more.

Another reason why I am in favor of Type I MSDs that discharge 1/5 the
colony count/liter as the best municipal waste plants.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Roger Long" wrote in message
This from our state DEP pump out program:

"The untreated sewage from two people on one boat can contribute the same
amount of bacteria to a harbor as the treated discharge from a town of
10,000 people."

Let's see, about 70,000 people in Portland. The whole city's bacterial
output (after treatment) could be duplicated by 14 people?!

--

Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in news:BH8qg.11842$O35.5642
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

This from our state DEP pump out program:

"The untreated sewage from two people on one boat can contribute the
same amount of bacteria to a harbor as the treated discharge from a
town of 10,000 people."

Let's see, about 70,000 people in Portland. The whole city's
bacterial output (after treatment) could be duplicated by 14 people?!

Hmm....the bacteria are eaten by the krill. The krill are eaten by the
brine shrimp. The brine shrimp are eaten by the little fish. The little
fish are eaten by the bigger fish. The bigger fish are caught by the
fishermen. They deliver the fish to my favorite seafood restaurant. I
eat the fish and convert it to ****. I dump that back into the harbor
creating a virtual CLOUD of bacteria for the krill to eat.

DAMN! I'm supporting a whole nuther ECOSYSTEM....just takin a crap!

You don't REALLY believe that what few boaters there are can destroy the
harbor....like those megaconglomerates' mills, founderies, manufacturing
plants, paper mills and the cities' poorly maintained **** plants, do
you??

Here. Count the bottlenosed dolphins in the harbor. They crap more than
you crap, but let's pretend we're even. Not one of them has a sewage
treatment plant. Any harbor they crap in that does NOT have a sewage
treatment facility or factory dumping into it just FLORISHES with life.

Count 'em. Here, I'd say there about 250 dolphins for every human in a
boat. The fishing is superb!

According to the greenies, too, every lake with 2-stroke outboard motors
on them since 1905 should be about 4 inches deep in OIL. They're not.
Ever wonder why?

Just follow the money trail.....

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in
:

We sailors do tend to eat and drink rather heavily!

Wouldn't the recycled alcohol tend to kill off the bacteria like it does
when you get a shot? Maybe we should drink MORE, if that's even possible!

"Keith" wrote in news:1151933852.283078.7340
@v61g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

The
remainder came from other animal hosts, the largest contributor being
waterfowl with 32.5% of the total. Similar studies are being carried
out in
California, Washington, and Oregon.

Whats next? Diapers for geese?

You boys need to go visit a big corporate hog farm in North Carolina. If
every head on every boat were used by the entire population of your city-
by-the-harbor, pumping overboard 24/7/365....it's be about 5% of what a
North Carolina hog farm dumps into the Outer Banks. PU!!

http://www.epi.state.nc.us/epi/hab/

The hog farm upriver cause this. Nothing is done....of course.

Follow the MONEY trail, again............

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in

In THEORY that may be true assuming that the sewage treatment plant is
working up to the standard 200 E-coli colonies/liter. But a single
malfunction, as has happened on more than one occasion, can contribute
as much as several million boaters. Even a heavy rain can drive most
treatment plants over the limit by 1,000 times or more.

In 1989 I lived right where I do now, on the Ashley River at Riverbend,
about 6.5 miles upriver from Charleston Harbor. Two Dorchester County
sewage treatment plants use the river for a sewer dumping about 12
million gallons a day, now, into the river...treated sewage. Downstream,
except during a rising tide, of course, Charleston County's sewage plants
are dumping another 22 million gallons into it in the harbor the tide
drags upstream.

In 1989, Hurricane Hugo laid Charleston FLAT....for months on end with no
power, no travel, no city water as they shut that down, not to protect
the water supply, but to try to prevent us from FLUSHING OUR TOILETS. We
didn't, we COULDN'T! We were stranded!

None of the sewage plants had, or even to this day HAVE, proper emergency
power supplies that can operate the plants during and after such an
event. When the plant got full of the deluge flooding the pipes, THEY
JUST DUMPED IT INTO THE ASHLEY RIVER. Everyone near the river vomited
from the smell. It was just awful. It was floating in the river at my
house.

Today, you'd never know anything happened. It cleared by 1992 or so.
The crabs, after it cleared and sank to the bottom just BLOOMED!
Charleston crabbers were smiling from ear to ear.

Life goes on, but I'd sure like to see some serious power plants built
right next to those ponds......

Pfat Chance....

Gordon wrote:
Victoria, Canada, pumps 19 million gallons of raw sewage intp the Straits
of Juan de Fuca every single day. That has to convert to the whole continent
of asia!
Gordon

This 'raw sewage' is actually mostly 'grey water'- from showers and
sinks, but no matter. Let's put some numbers to this to reduce the
hysteria level a bit.

Opposite the CloverPoint outfall in Victoria, the Strait is about 20km
wide. Let's use .5 km as the depth of the strait. On an average day,
outgoing tide, there's a 3kt or so tidal current in the strait. Let's
say 5 km/hr. So in one hour, during ebb tide, about 50 cubic kilometers
of water pass the outfall (which is well offshore, in deep water).

Let's convert that sewage number into cubic kilometers. 20 million
gallons (Imperial) is about 100 million liters, or 100,000 cubic
meters, or about .0001 cubic kilometers.
Even if all the daily 'raw sewage' were dumped in one hour, the
contribution to the total outflow in the Strait would be negligable.

Many scientific studies have shown that additional treatment of sewage
from Victoria is unnecessary and a waste of money. We've got hundreds
(thousands?) of people living on the streets here, people are dying on
stretchers in hallways in our hospitals, and the enviro-wingnuts want
to waste money on a $500 million sewer rebuild. It works for me!

John (in Victoria)

Problem water pump Yanmar 2GM Jeffrey P. Vasquez Cruising 35 January 5th 11 06:31 PM
Bilge Pump Upgrade Marc Boat Building 21 March 10th 06 02:59 AM
Propane Sniffer Meltdown aroostifer Cruising 13 June 9th 05 01:58 PM
Let there be heat! Gould 0738 General 4 November 29th 04 01:41 AM
Bilge pump switches Dazed and Confuzed Boat Building 22 January 29th 04 04:13 AM