Default Bareboat charterers in BVI- Any interesting boats?

I'm thinking of a bare-boat charter in BVI (or similar) this winter. While they are fine condos, I'm not impressed with the sailing performance of the standard Beneteaus and Jeanneaus. Is there a charter operator who offers boats which are better sailers?

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
I'm thinking of a bare-boat charter in BVI (or similar) this winter.
While they are fine condos, I'm not impressed with the sailing performance
of the standard Beneteaus and Jeanneaus. Is there a charter operator who
offers boats which are better sailers?

I've had good experience with TMM. Athena 38 last time I was there.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Jim:

The big charter operators, The Moorings, Sunsail, etc all offer the same kind of boat- Benneteaus and Jeanneaus (as much to do with French tax law as anything else). They are generally fairly new and are maintained very well. Smaller operators offer what is available. But I doubt if you are going to find a J/40 or something similar. It simply is not going to be in the charter fleet.

But, why care. It is a vacation isn't it. Yes the B/J boats are a bit fatter, with modest SA/Disp and are slower, but who cares. You are in a beautiful area and you are having fun. One of my nicest sailing memories was going tack for tack for about two hours against another B351. I am sure the other guy had a blast as well.

David
I'm thinking of a bare-boat charter in BVI (or similar) this winter. While they are fine condos, I'm not impressed with the sailing performance of the standard Beneteaus and Jeanneaus. Is there a charter operator who offers boats which are better sailers?

Back in '97 the Moorings purchased a fleet of 6 or 7 J/140's to charter during race weeks but that program only lasted about 2 years. Not enough cubes to be comfortable for most first mates so they only got chartered during race weeks at outrageous prices.

Sunsail has a Beneteau First 42s7 which is a pretty hot boat. I crewed on her during the Rolex and BVI Spring Regattas last year and we finished pretty high considering the crew was a bunch of us old geezers. The down side was she is hot in more ways than one. The boat was definitely designed for sailing above the Mason Dixon Line. I am just glad I didn't have to sleep aboard. Definitely not a good choice for a family cruise.

Conch has a 42s7 in charter too. She actually won the St. Thomas regatta a couple of years ago.

--
Glenn Ashmore

I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or lack there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com