posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building
Drew Dalgleish

Default can I increase outboard hp?

a few years ago I was shown how to turn a 5hp merc into an 8hp motor
just by nbolting the exhaust manifold rotating it 180 degrees and
reinstalling it.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building
derbyrm

How did you measure the horsepower?

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

Drew Dalgleish wrote:
a few years ago I was shown how to turn a 5hp merc into an 8hp motor
just by nbolting the exhaust manifold rotating it 180 degrees and
reinstalling it.

For 2 and 4 stroke going back 2 decades, the 5 hp Merc is 1 cylinder,
the 8 hp is 2 cylinders.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building
Drew Dalgleish

I took the mechanics word for it. It wasn't my motor and I didn't see
it in action . He did explain how and why he was doing it.

How did you measure the horsepower?

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message
a few years ago I was shown how to turn a 5hp merc into an 8hp motor
just by nbolting the exhaust manifold rotating it 180 degrees and
reinstalling it.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building
Drew Dalgleish

whatever you want to believe I guess. Perhaps you have a better reason
for turning the manifold over.

And how long is your leg now.........

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message
I took the mechanics word for it. It wasn't my motor and I didn't see
it in action . He did explain how and why he was doing it.

How did you measure the horsepower?

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message
a few years ago I was shown how to turn a 5hp merc into an 8hp motor
just by nbolting the exhaust manifold rotating it 180 degrees and
reinstalling it.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building
John Cassara

Maybe an excuse to charge $75 per hour plus an additional fee for
"hotrodding" your o/b

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message
whatever you want to believe I guess. Perhaps you have a better reason
for turning the manifold over.

And how long is your leg now.........

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message
I took the mechanics word for it. It wasn't my motor and I didn't see
it in action . He did explain how and why he was doing it.

How did you measure the horsepower?

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message
.. .
a few years ago I was shown how to turn a 5hp merc into an 8hp motor
just by nbolting the exhaust manifold rotating it 180 degrees and
reinstalling it.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building
Drew Dalgleish

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:24:05 -0400, "John Cassara"
wrote:

Maybe an excuse to charge $75 per hour plus an additional fee for
"hotrodding" your o/b

Maybe but this guy works for $ 25 and I imagine that if the owner
didn't need a new prop he'd be ****ed

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message
whatever you want to believe I guess. Perhaps you have a better reason
for turning the manifold over.

And how long is your leg now.........

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message
I took the mechanics word for it. It wasn't my motor and I didn't see
it in action . He did explain how and why he was doing it.

How did you measure the horsepower?

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message
. ..
a few years ago I was shown how to turn a 5hp merc into an 8hp motor
just by nbolting the exhaust manifold rotating it 180 degrees and
reinstalling it.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building

This is the cheapest HP boost you might find.

Test 1A % Increase or Reduction
Hydrocarbons - 40.4%
Carbon Monoxide - 42.6%
Oxides of Nitrogen - 18.2%
Horsepower + 4.3%

Test 2A % Increase or Reduction
Hydrocarbons - 43.6%
Carbon Monoxide - 34.3%
Oxides of Nitrogen - 20.2%
Horsepower + 5.2%

Test 3A % Increase or Reduction
Hydrocarbons - 31.9%
Carbon Monoxide - 25.0%
Oxides of Nitrogen - 15.3%
Horsepower + 5.6%

Test 4A % Increase or Reduction
Hydrocarbons - 53.0%
Carbon Monoxide - 28.2%
Oxides of Nitrogen - 16.5%
Horsepower + 6.5%

http://www.rxp-gas-kicker.com
Also reduces emissions and increases gas mileage according to the DOT.

O.K.: Urban myth or not?

I've heard over and over again that everything is the same on a 7.5
h.p. Johnson as on the 15 horse, except the carb. I also heard it's
not even the carb, it's just the jets.

Wrong on both counts.

If my memory is correct, the 7.5hp is about 10 cubic inches
displacement, the 9.9 and 15hp are about 15 ci. The 7.5 and 15 are
completely different engines except for maybe the ignition system
and/or some pieces of rubber or plastic.

The carb differences between these three engines are more than just the
jets, there's the size of the venturi too. To be blunt, anybody who
thinks that the only secret to getting 50-100% more power from an
engine is the carb jets does not know enough about engines to be
believed on almost anything thereunto appurtaining. You have been
misled by the uninformed.

Anybody actually done this carb or jets upgade, or at least seen it
work? Every dock rat seems to have heard of it, but nobody's done it.

The "jets upgrade" does not exist, which is why "nobody's done it."
The "carb upgrade" does work for engines for which the only difference
is indeed the carb. Otherwise you might need the "exhaust manifold
upgrade," the "reed plate upgrade," etc.

Failing that, any ideas on how to squeeze a bit more out of a
two-stroke (short of going 100:1 on the mix)?

Going 100:1 on the mix will not give you more power. People who soup-up
"fishing" motors to race them add more oil, not less. But simply
diddling the mix won't give you more power.

Your 7.5 morphed into the 8 hp motor with some tweaks, but that's not
the kind of power increase you're looking for. You need more cubic
inches, which means you need more metal around it, which means a
different outboard.

%mod%