Roger Long

Default How's this for a Killick

Is that really the right word? I thought a "Killick" was an anchor
made of a stone and wood. What is the right word for these weights
you let down the anchor line?

Anyway:

Http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Strider0606.htm#Killick

--

Roger Long

Rosalie B.

"Roger Long" wrote:

Is that really the right word? I thought a "Killick" was an anchor
made of a stone and wood. What is the right word for these weights
you let down the anchor line?

Anyway:

Http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Strider0606.htm#Killick

It's a kellet
http://www.johnsboatstuff.com/Articles/anchor.htm

cavelamb

Rosalie B. wrote:

"Roger Long" wrote:

Is that really the right word? I thought a "Killick" was an anchor
made of a stone and wood. What is the right word for these weights
you let down the anchor line?

Anyway:

Http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Strider0606.htm#Killick

It's a kellet
http://www.johnsboatstuff.com/Articles/anchor.htm

Yeah.

Killick is Captain Aubrie's man-servent
Jeff

Here's a proper killick:
http://www.sv-moonshadow.com/liveabo..._killicks.html
(you may want to check out the other pics my friends took while wintering in
Newfoundland)

What you made is a kellet, however, it could also serve a handy purpose as a
hammerlock anchor. In this mode, the anchor is simply dropped off the bow
on very short scope, perhaps 1.1 to 1. In light air, as is often found at
night, the boat will sit to this and not move around. If the wind picks up
a bit, it will slowly drag to a new position. I used this sort of system
on my Nonsuch to reduce horsing at anchor.