Wayne.B

Default grabbing weather faxes inexpensively on passage

On 16 May 2006 13:55:04 -0700, "
wrote:

Hmm, why exactly must I have an SSB? I've just made 10,000 miles from
Seattle to Fiji and haven't needed one yet. Am I missing something?

How did you order out for pizza ?

that's a great question! OK, so if you're cruising the west side of
Mexico you can place orders to Downwinds marine on SSB ...

Glenn Ashmore

The way I see it there are two kinds of long distance sailors that don't
need SSB. If you don't care to talk to anyone for a month or more and
nobody cares where you are or if you are alive you don't need SSB. At the
other end if you are the type that has to stay connected all the time you
don't need SSB because you have a satellite phone. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hmm, why exactly must I have an SSB? I've just made 10,000 miles from
Seattle to Fiji and haven't needed one yet. Am I missing something?

Maynard G. Krebbs

On Wed, 17 May 2006 00:05:16 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

The way I see it there are two kinds of long distance sailors that don't
need SSB. If you don't care to talk to anyone for a month or more and
nobody cares where you are or if you are alive you don't need SSB. At the
other end if you are the type that has to stay connected all the time you
don't need SSB because you have a satellite phone. :-)

How about all the long distance sailors who carry a SSB receiver for
weather and news? On reflection, they would go into your first
category. )
Mark E. Williams
Peter Wiley

In article _hxag.44121$iF3.4901@dukeread01, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

The way I see it there are two kinds of long distance sailors that don't
need SSB. If you don't care to talk to anyone for a month or more

That's me.....

and
nobody cares where you are or if you are alive you don't need SSB.

but not my family & friends.

At the
other end if you are the type that has to stay connected all the time you
don't need SSB because you have a satellite phone. :-)

I liked it a lot better when I used to say that I was off to sea for a
month, don't expect to hear from me until I hit port. These days if
people don't get an email back in 24 hours, they start worrying. Far as
I'm concerned, one day is the same as the next when I'm gonna be gone
for 8-10 weeks, so who cares.

When I stop doing this for a living, I am NOT having either SSB or sat
phone aboard.

PDW