Thomas Wentworth

Default Teak Oil ,,, what brand is the best.

If you use a teak oil and not a varnish ,,, I have done both, vanish does
look richer but oil can protect the wood and isn't that what this is all
about?

What teak oil product works the best.

How do you apply?

How often?

sherwindu

Problem with varnish is that if it is damaged, you have to redo at least one
new layer to have it blend in. If you are careful, a good varnish job can last
a long time, but eventually you will have to give it another top coat to keep it

looking pristine.

I spent some time recently browsing the shelves of a large marine chain recently

and found all the brands to look kind of watery looking. I am finishing off a
bottle
of Meguire's Teak Oil which imparts a golden color, but it seems to be too thin
with the actual oil. That translates into an application that won't last long
in the heat
of the sun. Seems like years ago, there were heavier teak oils on the market
that
lasted longer, but I haven't seen any lately in the stores.

Sherwin D.

Thomas Wentworth wrote:

If you use a teak oil and not a varnish ,,, I have done both, vanish does
look richer but oil can protect the wood and isn't that what this is all
about?

What teak oil product works the best.

How do you apply?

How often?

da2ny

I get the best results using a mixture of Sea Fin Teak Oil (2 parts) to
1-part of Jasco Tung Oil. Tung Oil is the solid ingredient in the best
quality teak oils and varnishes, but has too many solids to be used alone.
I apply it with a foam brush, allow it to stand for 15 minutes, they wet
sand it with 400-600 grit wet/dry paper. You will see a paste form from the
sanding. Then take a turkish towel or diaper and rub this paste back into
the teak as a sealer. I usually build 4-6 coats for interior and 8-10 coats
for exterior. It also makes a fabulous sealer (3-4 coats) applied to bare
wood prior to varnishing.

Thomas Wentworth wrote:

If you use a teak oil and not a varnish ,,, I have done both, vanish
does
look richer but oil can protect the wood and isn't that what this is all
about?

What teak oil product works the best.

How do you apply?

How often?

Ed

I prefer Cetol. Goes on like a varnish but can be repaired and
recoated with minimal effort. Problem with oil is that the soft summer
wood still erodes away much faster requiring more sanding.

Thomas Wentworth wrote:

If you use a teak oil and not a varnish ,,, I have done both, vanish
does
look richer but oil can protect the wood and isn't that what this is all
about?

What teak oil product works the best.

How do you apply?

How often?

Le Tonkinois on Teak: Experiences? Any good? Chris Boat Building 29 April 8th 06 02:01 PM
Le Tonkinois on Teak: Experiences? Any good? Chris Cruising 29 April 8th 06 02:01 PM
Teak Fix? Roger Long Cruising 0 April 8th 06 12:08 PM
FS: Edson 32" Classic Teak Yacht Wheel in S. Florida Hank Marketplace 0 February 22nd 06 11:41 PM
Teak seam caulk Glenn Ashmore Boat Building 20 January 13th 06 05:19 PM