HHatcher

Default Fed up with Yamaha 4-stroke

Don W wrote:

I have the same engine, and mine started right up and ran perfectly
after 6 months of winter storage. The difference in our methods is
that I do not run the engine dry and drain the carb. I leave them full
of gas with stabil.
You have already discovered that storing it dry led to a clogged jet.
That jet wasn't clogged when you put the engine away.

Just wondering - Why would you fog a 4 stroke? I thought the idea of
fogging a 2 stroke was to coat and protect the bearings/cages, etc.,
in the otherwise unlubricated (and open to the atmosphere) crankcase
area, since fuel flows thru this area on the way to the combustion
chamber. In a 4 stroke, fuel goes from the carb(s) to the manifold
directly into the combustion chamber. Seems to me that fogging
probably adds to the carburator problems in this type engine.

HH

The reason that you fog any engine is to cut down on rust forming on the
cylinder walls, rings, valve faces, and valve seats while it is sitting.

Don W.

Seems reasonable. I'll remember that advice when I move to a 4 stroke. HH
sherwindu

Right, my first engine was a Silver Century Plus Seagull, which lasted many
years,
including a jaunt from Illinois to Florida via the Mississippi River.

However, I never liked the noise from the two strokes and premixing the gas and
oil was always a pain.

I made the mistake of thinking a big company like Yamaha knew how to design a
4 stroke to work with today's gasoline. Big mistake. Not only is taking the
engine
out of storage a dreaded experience, but just missing a week or two of use is
also
an adventure, where you never know if the engine will run properly until you try
it.
I have torn down my carb so often, it reminds me of tearing down my former M1,
blindfolded. All this from an engine that cost well over two grand.

Sherwin D.

Larry wrote:

sherwindu wrote in news:44599C28.2766BD73
@comcast.net:

I never had any
of these problems with my old two strokes. That's progress!

The old 2-strokes, now scoffed at and abused, had OIL in their gas,
preventing the gas from turning to pure shellac and clogging the jets.
When the gas in the carbs evaporated, the jets were full of OIL, not an
orange solid you have to drill out to clean off. So, when you pulled the
old 2-stroke out of storage, the OIL in the carbs clogging everything up
just mixed with the new gas-oil pumping in and caused that wonderful
cloud of blue smoke that always wafted up your nose, announcing to your
brain that, "ANOTHER GREAT BOATING SEASON HAS JUST BEGUN!"...(C;

Of course, the OLDER the old 2-stroke was, the BETTER this worked. Gas
premixed 15:1 with "Flying A" SAE 30 motor oil greasily coating every
surface of the old motor caused by the mix pouring out of the little
float pin in the top of the carb, protected it all from any corrosion, as
well as starting problems. (Look at any old Seagull 2-stroker)...

That trail of oil floating on the lake behind you going away from the
dock wasn't pollution, it was CORROSION PROTECTION!....

I wanna know where it all went. If you listen to a Greenie talking about
2-stroke outboard motors, every lake in the country SHOULD be about 3"
deep in motor oil! After all, they've been driving those engines since
1900! I didn't see any in the lakes or even in the ocean, downstream.
Where'd it all go? Over my lifetime, I must have contributed several
thousand gallons.

My little Yamaha 3hp is a 2-stroke.....Cranks right up...er, ah...if I
remember to open the vent cap..(blush).

Larry

sherwindu wrote in news:446FFBA8.B9366443
@comcast.net:

premixing the gas and
oil was always a pain.

I can't figure this one out, myself. Changing the oil in that damned fool
Nissan 4-stroker 5hp and having to be really careful to lay it down in a
specific position to keep the oil in the sump from pumping itself up into
the jug or running out somewhere is MUCH more of a pain in the arse than
dumping a pint of TC-W3 into a 10 gallon tank...(40:1 is real easy to
measure and works great!)

The 2-stroke, being MUCH simpler with only a few moving parts, just weighs
less, especially hauling it up the side of the boat from the dingy by hand.

Yeah, it makes more noise...not an argument about that....about $1000 more
noise at today's prices, as you noted....

Why does a 25hp outboard motor cost twice what a Honda 25hp Rebel
motorcycle costs??

4 stroke or 2 stroke s o General 6 April 18th 06 11:47 PM
Anyone know the weight of a 1995 115 HP 2 Stroke Yamaha? ESS General 2 April 18th 06 02:33 AM
yamaha motor locked up? Charlie Brown General 5 March 3rd 06 09:53 PM
1997 Yamaha C115TLRV [email protected] General 3 February 11th 06 12:36 PM
Yamaha 50 four stroke vs 60 two stroke Jack Redington General 4 January 27th 06 01:56 AM