Mic

Default Milltechmarine - American manufacturer offering AIS

http://www.milltechmarine.com/SR161.htm
"Smart Radio SR161, SR1612 and SR162G AIS Receivers

The Smart Radio SR161 and SR162 AIS Receivers are compact, easy to
install, stand alone marine receivers that monitor the channels
assigned to the Automatic Identification System or AIS. These radio
receivers are specially built for marine environments for the intended
use of deciphering Automatic Identification System data."

http://www.milltechmarine.com/resources_links.htm
Check out our FAQ page.
AISLive
This site has a delayed view of ship traffic based on AIS reception in
a number of locations from around the world.

SeaLinks
Another web-based live view of marine traffic from selected locations.

http://store.milltechmarine.com/index.html
Welcome to the online store for Milltech Marine.

http://www.milltechmarine.com/products.htm

Mic 67
Paul

"Mic" wrote in message
http://www.milltechmarine.com/SR161.htm
"Smart Radio SR161, SR1612 and SR162G AIS Receivers

The Smart Radio SR161 and SR162 AIS Receivers are compact, easy to
install, stand alone marine receivers that monitor the channels
assigned to the Automatic Identification System or AIS. These radio
receivers are specially built for marine environments for the intended
use of deciphering Automatic Identification System data."

Actually, the SR161 is a Chinese product (http://smartradio.ebigchina.com/),
and Milltech Marine is a U.S.A. distributor. I have purchased the SR161
from Milltech, and am very pleased with it. As far as performance and
features, it seems to holds it's own against the Nasa AIS Engine, which I
also have.

-Paul

Mic

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 18:05:41 -0700, "Paul" wrote:

"Mic" wrote in message
http://www.milltechmarine.com/SR161.htm
"Smart Radio SR161, SR1612 and SR162G AIS Receivers

The Smart Radio SR161 and SR162 AIS Receivers are compact, easy to
install, stand alone marine receivers that monitor the channels
assigned to the Automatic Identification System or AIS. These radio
receivers are specially built for marine environments for the intended
use of deciphering Automatic Identification System data."

Actually, the SR161 is a Chinese product (http://smartradio.ebigchina.com/),
and Milltech Marine is a U.S.A. distributor. I have purchased the SR161
from Milltech, and am very pleased with it. As far as performance and
features, it seems to holds it's own against the Nasa AIS Engine, which I
also have.

Thanks for the URL

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/enav/ais/default.htm
AIS OVERVIEW
What is the Automatic Identification System (AIS)?

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/gmdss/mmsi.htm

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/vts/PAWSS.htm
"A major goal of the PAWSS VTS is to use AIS and other technologies
that enable information gathering and dissemination in ways that add
no additional operational burden to the mariner. The VTS adds value,
improves safety and efficiency, but is not laborious to vessel
operators."
======================
HERE is part of a discussion:
This is a receiver only; it does not broadcast AIS information to
other vessels. If your nav software or chartplotter supports AIS, then
it is relatively plug and play as you suggest: VHF coax in, NMEA
38,400 baud AIS out. I just bought a splitter to allow me to share my
masthead VHF antenna with the AIS unit and my marine VHF transceiver.

I've found it very useful in making passages up and down the
Caribbean, especially at night. While it is nice to see a tanker's
heading, speed, projected track and closest point of approach on the
chart, it is VERY helpful to have the vessel's name displayed. I get a
lot more responses to my calls on VHF 16 when I mention the name of
the called vessel, generally to ensure they 'see me' and confirm their
intended course.

I consistently am able to pick up ships at a range of 18 miles.

I don't think the USCG means 2000 different frequencies, but more
likely 2000 available timeslots on the existing (two?) frequencies.
The data bursts are very short. I'm not sure, but haven't seen a
problem. Vessels not moving fast or anchored broadcast infrequently,
leaving more time for fast-moving or fast-turning vessels to broadcast
frequent updates (see IMO specs below). At this time, AIS transmitters
are very expensive and not often seen on pleasure boats. That may
change when AIS class "B" devices are available.

Raymarine has been promising an AIS upgrade to existing C and E series
displays. They've missed all of the targets previously promised, but
I've been told by Raymarine installer that the upgrade will be
available next week. Maybe this target is the real one.

Jef, yes, I'm using Coastal Explorer on a laptop. I don't think the
issue of an overcrowded screen would be a problem in most areas. It
would probably depend on the presentation of information by your
chartplotter, though. Even in busy places like Port Everglades (Fort
Lauderdale), it wasn't an issue for me. If it becomes a problem in the
future, I'll deal with it somehow, but meantime this technology is too
useful to pass up.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about the Raymarine AIS
functionality.

One neat feature with the software I use is voice alerts. At night,
when I'm in the cockpit, I've had the laptop below pipe up with
"warning, collision in 30 minutes". This was due to an AIS target that
was far beyond visual range. A couple of degree course alteration with
that much leadtime put us safely out of the way.

Broadcast interval:
Ship at anchor 3 min
Ship 0-14 knots 12 sec
Ship 0-14 knots and changing course 4 sec
Ship 14-23 knots 6 sec
Ship 14-23 knots and changing course 2 sec
Ship 23 knots 3 sec
Ship 23 knots and changing course 2 sec

__________
Broadcasts information on ship including (not limited to): vessel
name, position and speed.

Setup is extremely simple:

- connect to existing VHF antennae.

- use serial cable provided to connect receiver to laptop.

- use software (e.g. Nobeltec VNS/Admiral 8.0) to track ship
movements.

Additional information from the manufacturer (NASA marine in the UK):

"The AIS Engine is supplied with a free copy of SeaClear software, a
data cable to connect to the 9 pin serial port of a PC and a 12 volt
power cable.

The AIS Engine and a conventiomnal marine antenna are all you need to
start plotting vessels on your PC. The software runs in windows 95,
98, ME, Xp, 2000 and NT, it includes a world map on which vessels are
plotted. Any vessel on the screen can be selected and its AIS data
displayed. This includes the vessels name, mmsi number, position, call
sign and destination etc. Also included on the AIS Engine is an
optional input for a GPS (RMC sentence). With this connected the users
own vessel is shown on the chart with its latitude and longitude
displayed in a window.

The unit can receive ships on either the A or B AIS channels. In
default setting it alternates between the two channels.

The AIS engine can also be used with plotters or other PC softwares
that have an AIS input facility. Check compatibility with your
software supplier. An NMEA 2000 input at 38,400 baud is required to
accept the VDM AIS strings corresponding to ITU-1371.

If your PC does not have a spare 9 pin serial port a low cost serial
to USB converter is available as an optional extra."

Interesting Mic 67

-Paul

Mic

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 05:04:50 GMT, (Mic) wrote:
http://www.y-tronic.com/
"Y-tronic is a leading supplier of AIS solutions. We offer a range of
AIS software and hardware solutions for recreational and professional
mariners alike."

Mic 67

wow, that site is super expensive when converting Euros to USD.

American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 January 13th 06 05:32 AM
Words from a Great American Skipper General 29 November 23rd 05 01:43 PM
Amerika is Always at War jlrogers ASA 2 November 4th 05 09:20 PM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 October 19th 05 05:38 AM