Danny

Default Bottom Paint ,,, 20 layers of Bottom Paint ,,, how to remove it.

Had the same dilemma with an Islander 30 we bought years ago. I bought a
long handled, wide wood chisel. Started at one end, dug in and pushed
through to the other. Paint chips came off like sparks from a campfire.
Worked well but it 'twas a damned hard job.

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
I looked at a boat this past weekend. There must have been twenty layers
of bottom paint. It was so thick, ....

I'm thinking ??? ,, how on earth does one get this bottom paint off.
Sanding will do the trick but I would think it might take a month.

What is the prefered method of bottom paint removal? What tools to use?
Is there a bottom paint removal substance?

After the bottom paint is removed, right down to the bare gelcoat ...
about August 1st .. joke there ..

After the bottom paint is removed,, what should be done? Put a thin coat
back on? Put on a coat of the sealer stuff?

Bottom paint doctors wanted ,, calling doctor Scrape, Sand, and Remove ,,
calling doctor Scrape, Sand and Remove ...

Jim,

Danny wrote:
[...]

The easy way (but a little dangerous) -- Gloves and goggles are a must.
Also be warned that this works best in warm weather -- 60 degrees or
better -- Warmer is better

Go to the $1 store and get 3 plastic buckets, some cheap paint brushes,
some plastic spatulas. And a plastic drop cloth.

Then go to the Supermarket and get some cornstarch and lye (NOT drain
cleaner, plain old lye)

Put the drop cloth under your boat

Fill 2 buckets 1/3 full of cool water

To 1 add 1 can (I think it comes in 14 OZ sizes) lye stirring carefully
with a stick -- the splashes will eat your clothing, and burn your skin

To the other add about 1/2 box Cornstarch, again stirring well

Then slowly add the cornstarch mix to the lye mix while stirring -- stop
when it gets to the consistency of pancake batter. Save any remains for
the next mix.

Slather it on the hull as thick as you can with one of the paint brushes

Go get coffee, or your beverage of choice -- come back in about 20 min

Scrape off the resulting glop with a plastic scraper (remember Gloves
and goggles) and put it in Bucket #3 for proper disposal

Repeat if necessary, but I removed about 20 years of paint from a 28'
boat this way in about 2 days -- usually 1 coat of glop is enough -- if
it's cool, or doesn't seem to be working -- wait longer for the bottom
paint to soften.

When finished with a section, flush with a lot of water. If you get any
on yourself flush with water -- if you get any in your eyes -- get
medical attention.

Don't believe me -- try it on a small section first -- won't cost much.
I have wondered if someone could use Tyvex and stick it to the glop as
a poor mans peal-away system.

krj

Jim, wrote:
Danny wrote:

[...]

Remove ,, calling doctor Scrape, Sand and Remove ...

[...]

And just where do you dispose of this environmental mess?
krj
Jim,

krj wrote:
Jim, wrote:

Danny wrote:

[...]

Locally there are 2 days/year when the County accepts it, and arranges
for one of the major industries to burn in in a high temp incinerator.
Much the same as any old paint, or other household chemicals, Suggest
you check with your local EPA office
Gogarty

What I get from this thread is that everybody has done it once. Nobody has
done it twice.

Roger Long

Now, there's a chuckle in a nutshell!

--

Roger Long

"Gogarty" wrote in message
news
What I get from this thread is that everybody has done it once.
Nobody has
done it twice.

DSK

Gogarty wrote:
What I get from this thread is that everybody has done it once. Nobody has
done it twice.

I must be a slow learner, I've done it more than twice. OTOH
in general my boats have been smaller & cheaper than
everybody else's, it may be that the lesson has been learned
here too.

DSK

MMC

I had the option of the yard blasting the hull of my boat, don't remember
just what it would have cost (maybe $400?) but decided I'd save the money
and do it myself right?
Cost me more in additional yard time and materials and a lot of hours
scraping, sanding and using paint stripper.
I won't make that mistake again.
MMC

"Roger Long" wrote in message
By far, the best and approved method for a boat about the size I
recall Tom talking about is a piece of paper about 3" x 5" properly
printed by a bank with about $2,500 written on it

As most of you know, I'm a real do-it-yourselfer but some things just
aren't worth it.

--

Roger Long

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
I looked at a boat this past weekend. There must have been twenty
layers of bottom paint. It was so thick, ....

I'm thinking ??? ,, how on earth does one get this bottom paint
off. Sanding will do the trick but I would think it might take a
month.

What is the prefered method of bottom paint removal? What tools to
use? Is there a bottom paint removal substance?

After the bottom paint is removed, right down to the bare gelcoat
... about August 1st .. joke there ..

After the bottom paint is removed,, what should be done? Put a thin
coat back on? Put on a coat of the sealer stuff?

Bottom paint doctors wanted ,, calling doctor Scrape, Sand, and
Remove ,, calling doctor Scrape, Sand and Remove ...

Jim Conlin

Many years ago, we hired a yard to sandblast about 15 years of bottom paint.
The resultant texture was a fine-grained sandstone. The first coat of paint
filled it.
Thereafter, we sanded clean each year and ultimately switched to ablative
paint.
I'd suppose that there are less hostile blasting methods (walnut hulls,
soda?) and that a LOT depends on the care of the operator.
Were I to do it again, i'd instruct the operator to try for a 90% complete
job and i'd sand the rest.

\
"Ryk" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:50:23 GMT, in message

"Dennis Pogson" wrote:

Most professionals use a heavy scraper if the paint is really hard and
brittle. It's a tiring job, but can be quicker than applying softener, as
the paint flakes away in large chunks.

And be sure to get a scraper with a carbide blade. They out-perform
steel by a mile, especially if you don't an easy way to keep
resharpening the steel.

I used

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...90,43040,43041

but it is still a big job...

Ryk

MMC

I saw a 41' Island Trader that had the bottom blasted and the gelcoat was
pretty much destroyed, cracked and chunks missing. Hadn't seen that before
or since.
Think it might have been the quality of the gelcoat?
MMC

bottom coat Chris Boat Building 6 March 29th 06 10:45 PM
latest info on bottom paint from practical sailor boatgeek Cruising 3 March 11th 06 09:07 AM
Bottom Paint Question Jim, General 5 December 28th 05 11:01 PM
Ceramic substitute for bottom paint? [email protected] General 7 December 23rd 05 02:48 AM
Bottom paint on prop beaufortnc Cruising 50 December 1st 05 12:41 AM