Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Skip Gundlach

Default Raw Water Pump Perkins 4-154 help, please

The other pump message got me thinking that perhaps there's someone
here who's conquered this particular dragon already:

My engine used to have a reefer compressor mounted to a very
substantial bracket, to which the normal Jabsco was also mounted, but
at the expense of having a triple-sheave pulley extension on the normal
drive pulley. I've taken both/all off. With apologies for spam
content, that entire reefer system (AC and engine split dual cold plate
system), bracket and multi-pulley is available very affordably in St.
Pete. We now return you to your regular programming:

However, my three water pumps (2 spares came with the boat) have the
correct pulley for that arrangement, and, worse, I don't have the
proper bracket to mount that type of pump back on.

Better yet, for the story and (while not as convoluted as Roger's
solutions) my propensity for not leaving well enough alone, I really
don't care to have to disassemble the entirety in order to make a
simple impeller change. Even if I did, I don't have the proper bracket
and pulley for my plethora of belt-driven pumps.

I've seen, on other boats, mounted in front of the camshaft, a direct
drive unit, which has a slot or boss or whatever which engages the end
which goes into the engine. The other end has a plate you remove to
take out the impeller. I even have a line on such a unit from a flea
market. If it's still available, assuming I ever get this figured out,
I'll buy it and get another retail for spare. My engine appears to
have that utility, having a cover and two studs which hold it down,
over where I'd assume the camshaft would be.

However, my diesel guy tells me that each engine is unique (????!!!!!)
and without the specific serial ("build") number, he can't check to see
1) if a direct drive is available and 2) which of the thousands of them
that Jabsco and others make will work.

Now, in the event this is somehow a unique engine, I should say that
there is nothing apparent in the expected raised block over the
injection pump where the SN is supposed to live. My surveyor and I
scraped that area clean during the survey, finding nothing. However, a
similar raised block, on the other end of the engine in about the same
orientation, has a very distinct, easily read, even after detailing
painting, stamped set of numbers and a U in the middle (signifying UK
mfr, I think). However, that set of numbers isn't long enough for a
"build number" and doesn't match in style, at all, the numbers from
another boat's engine, the survey to which I got to see recently.
Therefore, I'm having to pay a service call to my mech to come find it,
after which we can proceed.

So, my plea:

Is there anyone with a dead 4-154 who'd sell me a proper bracket and
pulley (should be a deep dish, not relatively flat like mine) for the
water pump? Or, better yet, have a direct drive and can give me the
part number of yours, along with the SN from your engine as at least a
starting point?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
http://tinyurl.com/384p2 The vessel as Tehamana, as we bought her

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain