Default Block Island RI, Old Harbor

Let's not commercialize Old Harbor any further! As a cruiser for many
years, I have watched the loss of public access to many beautiful
destinations due to commercialization and the desire of private
individuals to profit at the expense of public free access. The current
proposal to limit access to Old Harbor to those willing to pay a
premium will forever alter the unique character of the harbor.

As a boater who enjoys the ability to anchor, and who selects harbors
based on that privilege, it is terribly distressing to know that Old
Harbor may go the same way as many other great destinations. We have
enjoyed Old Harbor as a family for two decades; a safe, fun, happy
place that is affordable because of the freedom to anchor. This allows
us to afford and enjoy meals out, local shops, beach, water sports and
nighttime entertainment... most of which support the island economy.

We are but one example of many who would feel the loss if the new
"harbor management plan" were to be implemented. It's true that a few
people would benefit from such a plan, but it is my sincere belief that
the businesses in Old Harbor would suffer losses. I know that the
boating community at large would suffer an even greater loss at losing
such an affordable and wonderful destination due to the greediness of a
few select individuals.

Over the years we have taken part in clean-up efforts to remove trash
from the beaches, especially after long holiday weekends in the summer.
While it is disgusting that this littering has occurred, primarily due
to day-trippers and jet skiers in my opinion, it has given us great
pride to take a proactive position and get it cleaned up. Our family
didn't want visitors arriving on the ferry to view, as their first
sight of the harbor, a mound of trash.

There are issues that need to be addressed, but the proposed harbor
management plan for Old Harbor would be akin to trimming your rose bush
with a bulldozer. In considering the problem areas, I arrive at some
simpler solutions to the concerns at hand.

The greatest problem in my opinion occurs within the inner basin, where
the melding of drinkers and partiers flows over from Ballard's onto the
main dock. Couple this with the drinking onboard the boats within the
basin and you have a Wild West atmosphere. Essentially, these folks
know that they can pretty much behave any way they want and get away
with it. We all know what can happen, as we have seen some outrageous
behavior over the years.

Old Harbor needs a clear and visible policing force with real muscle
and the authority to arrest, incarcerate and issue answerable
citations, essentially an extension of jurisdiction to encompass the
entire harbor waters. It would be a shock to many people, but the word
would travel quickly that things were different. Already changes have
been felt in regard to a tightening of public intoxication enforcement
- DWI included - on the rest of the island.

Ballard's needs to be brought into check to control outflow of drinkers
and partiers. That means stopping people from leaving via the beach or
out the doors, drinks in hand. This occurs regularly at Ballard's
unchecked, but has been well-controlled at the other establishments
such as Kittens and Nick's.

The harbor needs a harbormaster who is engaged; a daily presence that
could help the public understand that the ferry has right-of-way over
all vessels, and those not complying could receive a citation and a
fine. There should be guidelines for rules, etiquette and behavior that
all can view and understand. Harbor speed, noise, holding tank, and
basic anchoring common sense are among many issues that all of us need
to know and address.

Boaters have been choosing Old Harbor for literally generations, and
the current system of rafting has evolved naturally as the most
efficient and time-tested use of the limited space.

The proposed increase of dock space only increases the overhead cost to
the town when it already struggles to maintain the current dock and
bulkhead, which is in poor condition. With rising fuel costs and others
associated with boating, it is unlikely that the docks would fill
enough to be profitable.

Boats along the east wall suffer damage yearly in snap northeasters and
the idea of moorings outside the harbor would create a scenario where
neophytes will be trying to seek shelter from the wave surge at night
in horrendous conditions. Loss of life and/or property is guaranteed.
Many of us have seen it happen time and time again where boats try to
re-position in those conditions, only to end up on the beach or rocks.

Most of us will accept change as inevitable. I would even consider
paying a reasonable impact fee to the town for the right to anchor on a
night-by-night basis or some other system. Public access in Florida is
subsidized this way and effectively done.

Spend your money well, provide better services, bathroom and shower,
garbage and ice, education, pumpout and assistance through an engaged
harbormaster. Increase the visible police force and give them
jurisdiction and muscle. Increase the amount of fire extinguishing
equipment and implement a plan for quick response. Take control of the
behavior emanating from Ballard's and the folks on the main dock. Take
control of this

Wonderful, unique harbor, but don't ruin it for the hundreds of
families that choose Old Harbor in Block Island as their destination of
choice.

Jonathan H. Nomer

M/V Nemo, Wakefield