BoatBanter.com

-   -   Alpha 1 outdrives (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/67187-alpha-1-outdrives.html)

stingray240 March 2nd 06 12:42 PM

Alpha 1 outdrives

What is the best paint to use on the Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive to
prevent salt water corrision in your experience. Thanks....

Leanne March 2nd 06 12:56 PM

Alpha 1 outdrives

stingray240 wrote in message
What is the best paint to use on the Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive to
prevent salt water corrision in your experience. Thanks....

I don't think there is one.

Leanne

JimH March 2nd 06 10:30 PM

Alpha 1 outdrives

stingray240 wrote in message
What is the best paint to use on the Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive to
prevent salt water corrision in your experience. Thanks....

Merc has a spray paint for all their outdrives................it will not
prevent salt water corrosion though. No paint will.

Make sure you tilt the drive up as far as possible when docked. Make sure
your zincs are in decent shape.

Do you have a Mercathode system on the outdrive?

stingray240 March 4th 06 12:33 PM

Alpha 1 outdrives

It's a 1998 Alpha 1 generation 2 outdrive. I sits for about 5 months
at a slip in salt water in Quincy,Mass. (brackish water). I just
purchased a Mercruiser alunimum anode kit (they don't sell zinc
anymore but this is supposed to work better). Thank all of you for
your answers.

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:30:07 -0500, " JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

.. .

Larry March 8th 06 02:08 PM

Alpha 1 outdrives

"bob" wrote in news:eOidnSpxSvAQxZPZRVn-
:

I just
purchased a Mercruiser alunimum anode kit (they don't sell zinc
anymore but this is supposed to work better).

Boat/US or West Marine has zincs. Zinc is always better than aluminum, no
matter what the greenies say. Zinc is further to the appropriate side of
the periodic chart of the atoms and government bureaucrats can't move it.

How's aluminum going to protect aluminum parts?? It's more noble than the
pot metal it's all made of, isn't it??