BoatBanter.com

-   -   water tank repair-west system epoxy or fiberglass resin (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/66367-water-tank-repair-west-system-epoxy-fiberglass-resin.html)

Da Kine February 10th 06 07:34 AM

water tank repair-west system epoxy or fiberglass resin

I've never heard that before. Do you know that for sure or is it
something you just heard? I am about to build a new tank in my boat too
and this would be a big chunk of info to find out.

Mic February 10th 06 07:42 AM

water tank repair-west system epoxy or fiberglass resin

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 06:30:48 GMT, Rich Hampel
wrote:

Epoxy is best but you need an FDA rated grade for POTABLE water .....
--- kind of hard to find. If you dont use a rated for potable water
the leachables from the epoxy can be harmful.

FWIW see link
http://dan.pfeiffer.net/10m/water_tank_refit.htm

In article , krj
wrote:

I need to repair a leaking seam on my fiberglass water tank. Somewhere I
think I read not to use epoxy in a water tank. Is this correct? Should
only fiberglass resin be used inside a fresh water tank?
krj

Rich Hampel February 10th 06 10:11 PM

water tank repair-west system epoxy or fiberglass resin

I engineer pharmaceutical/biotech process water, etc. systems.
FDA approved/listed epoxy resin for potable water is the ONLY method to
be used. Leachables from most resins are a BIG problem in potable
water systems. Even when I use food grade epoxy, I recirculate/strip
all the leached monomers through a carbon bed stripper system for a few
months, etc.

krj February 10th 06 10:37 PM

Rich Hampel wrote:

I engineer pharmaceutical/biotech process water, etc. systems.
FDA approved/listed epoxy resin for potable water is the ONLY method to
be used. Leachables from most resins are a BIG problem in potable
water systems. Even when I use food grade epoxy, I recirculate/strip
all the leached monomers through a carbon bed stripper system for a few
months, etc.

Can you give me the name/manf. of an FDA approved epoxy that I can use?
krj

Da Kine February 11th 06 01:33 AM

water tank repair-west system epoxy or fiberglass resin

Well, I just called Joes Auto body and marine supply and your are
right. They are going to order me some FDA epoxy - WOW I have so many
buddies that have made it with the cheap stuff I fear what will happen
when I mention it....

Thanks for the good info - and in time to save me a bundle of trouble.

Matt O'Toole February 11th 06 06:35 PM

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 13:39:41 -0500, krj wrote:

I need to repair a leaking seam on my fiberglass water tank. Somewhere I
think I read not to use epoxy in a water tank. Is this correct? Should
only fiberglass resin be used inside a fresh water tank? krj

You can certainly do this as long as best practices are followed, so you
don't wind up with epoxy residues in your water. This is nothing to mess
around with though.

There's an article about it here, under Boat Repair and Restoration:

http://www.epoxyworks.com/indexprojects.html

Think carefully about how much this project is really going to cost
you in labor and materials, even your own labor. To really do it right
is a lot of work. An "expensive" polyethylene tank may start to look
cheap. Bladder-style tanks can be a good solution too.

Matt O.

krj February 12th 06 05:53 PM

Matt O'Toole wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 13:39:41 -0500, krj wrote:

I need to repair a leaking seam on my fiberglass water tank. Somewhere I
think I read not to use epoxy in a water tank. Is this correct? Should
only fiberglass resin be used inside a fresh water tank? krj

You can certainly do this as long as best practices are followed, so you
don't wind up with epoxy residues in your water. This is nothing to mess
around with though.

There's an article about it here, under Boat Repair and Restoration:

http://www.epoxyworks.com/indexprojects.html

Think carefully about how much this project is really going to cost
you in labor and materials, even your own labor. To really do it right
is a lot of work. An "expensive" polyethylene tank may start to look
cheap. Bladder-style tanks can be a good solution too.

Matt O.

I'm not trying to build a new tank, just repair an existing tank. The
tank is an intragal part of the V-berth built if fiberglass with
gelcoat. The bottom "V" seam of the tank has a small crack that drips
water. I just want to put a couple of wide strips of cloth over the seam
to repair the crack. Just wanted to know wheather to use fiberglass
resin or epoxy. I have lots of West Systems epoxy I am using for other
repairs.
krj