Larry

Default need fiberglass dingy

Don White wrote in news:QU2Ff.24448$VV4.173364
@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

Why fiberglass then? What about the plastic versions... such as
'Walker Bay'. You could drag those over rough surfaces...matter of
fact, they come with a wheel under the transom for moving around on dry
land.

All this sounds good until the damned thing is running you down surfing in
simplest of waves. Let's quit screwing around and get a Porta-Bote...folds
flat against the handrail, haul it up a halyard vertically up the mast
while you screw the seats into it, then push it over the handrail and pay
out the halyard, stern first. 5hp will plane it with 250#
aboard!...amazing.

http://www.porta-bote.com/

Look down the page to see it stowed on a sailboat.

Gordon

See it stored on a sailboat! Ah, but where is the rest of it stored?
Seats, transom, stem, etc
See the man easily carry it under his arm! Again, where is the rest of it?
See the spec sheet that shows the weight of a 10' is only 68 lbs! Oops,
that is the HULL weight! Again, what happened to the seats, etc?
Don't get me wrong. The portabote is a decent unit, especially when
compared pricewise to a good hypalon raft or whatever. I just don't like the
way they promote it.
Speaking of dinghies. Wouldn't a sailing hypalon like a Tinker also double
as a liferaft? Expensive sure, unless compared to buying a dinghy AND a
liferaft.
Gordon

"Larry" wrote in message
Don White wrote in news:QU2Ff.24448$VV4.173364
@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

Why fiberglass then? What about the plastic versions... such as
'Walker Bay'. You could drag those over rough surfaces...matter of
fact, they come with a wheel under the transom for moving around on dry
land.

All this sounds good until the damned thing is running you down surfing in
simplest of waves. Let's quit screwing around and get a

Porta-Bote...folds
flat against the handrail, haul it up a halyard vertically up the mast
while you screw the seats into it, then push it over the handrail and pay
out the halyard, stern first. 5hp will plane it with 250#
aboard!...amazing.

http://www.porta-bote.com/

Look down the page to see it stowed on a sailboat.

Don White

Larry wrote:
Don White wrote in news:QU2Ff.24448$VV4.173364
@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

Why fiberglass then? What about the plastic versions... such as
'Walker Bay'. You could drag those over rough surfaces...matter of
fact, they come with a wheel under the transom for moving around on dry
land.

All this sounds good until the damned thing is running you down surfing in
simplest of waves. Let's quit screwing around and get a Porta-Bote...folds
flat against the handrail, haul it up a halyard vertically up the mast
while you screw the seats into it, then push it over the handrail and pay
out the halyard, stern first. 5hp will plane it with 250#
aboard!...amazing.

http://www.porta-bote.com/

Look down the page to see it stowed on a sailboat.

One problem...
they are big time 'ugly'...
Don't look so bad folded.. but when in operating shape...yech!
Gary

Larry wrote:
Don White wrote in news:QU2Ff.24448$VV4.173364
@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

Why fiberglass then? What about the plastic versions... such as
'Walker Bay'. You could drag those over rough surfaces...matter of
fact, they come with a wheel under the transom for moving around on dry
land.

All this sounds good until the damned thing is running you down surfing in
simplest of waves. Let's quit screwing around and get a Porta-Bote...folds
flat against the handrail, haul it up a halyard vertically up the mast
while you screw the seats into it, then push it over the handrail and pay
out the halyard, stern first. 5hp will plane it with 250#
aboard!...amazing.

http://www.porta-bote.com/

Look down the page to see it stowed on a sailboat.

PortBotes, like fat chicks and scooters, lots of fun as long as your
friends don't see you.

Gary

Gordon wrote:
See it stored on a sailboat! Ah, but where is the rest of it stored?
Seats, transom, stem, etc
See the man easily carry it under his arm! Again, where is the rest of it?
See the spec sheet that shows the weight of a 10' is only 68 lbs! Oops,
that is the HULL weight! Again, what happened to the seats, etc?
Don't get me wrong. The portabote is a decent unit, especially when
compared pricewise to a good hypalon raft or whatever. I just don't like the
way they promote it.
Speaking of dinghies. Wouldn't a sailing hypalon like a Tinker also double
as a liferaft? Expensive sure, unless compared to buying a dinghy AND a
liferaft.
Gordon

Good points Gordon. I think the challenge is finding a dinghy that fits
on your boat properly, looks good and is practical. You can only have
two of the three unless you have a large boat.

I like these:
http://www.whitehallrow.net/row_boats.php

I have a spirit (14') onboard Oriole (102') and a minto (9' with sail
etc) I tow behind my own boat (33') when cruising in the San Juan and
Gulf Islands. I have never brought the minto aboard. When I am
crossing the Straits (Juan de Fuca or Georgia) I pick my times or leave
the minto at home. I have an inflatable stored below. I am thinking of
towing a kayak occasionally instead of the minto and I wonder how that
would be.

Gaz
Larry

Gary wrote in news:6UdFf.434633$2k.239881@pd7tw1no:

PortBotes, like fat chicks and scooters, lots of fun as long as your
friends don't see you.

We're not running a mobile whorehouse! The object is to get to shore safe,
dry, and back with all the groceries and boat parts.

Didn't know a stupid dingy was a chick magnet. I got the Watertender 9.4
and it certainly hasn't increased my mating opportunities one iota!...(c;

Your mating opportunities may vary...see store for details.