Skipper

Default Moderators for Rec.boats?

The rec.boats NG has is going through challenging times. Where once it
was the
predominant boating NG populated by many industry experts, it has now
become little more than an off-topic chatroom. Most of truly
knowledgeable have long since abandoned this forum for saner climes.
Where once the very best advice could be found there, now serious
questions will most likely be greeted with flame.

Perhaps the time has come to convert rec.boats to a moderated NG and
restore its previous image. Yes, I know it would be a daunting task. To
win, the proposal must have 100 more YES votes than NO votes and
two/thirds of the votes must be YES. We could announce the proposal in
*all* the boating groups.

The moderation could be set up to recognize white contributors and black
contributors. Thus automating 95% of the moderation tasks. New
contributors could be hand moderated until they've posted two or three
times. Moderators could be voted on by the group, and a committee would
have to agree before a contributor was blacklisted (we don't need a
BoaterEd). Open on-topic debate WOULD be encouraged.

Should you be interested in seeing the rec.boats forum as a moderated NG
respond
in this thread. If there is enough support we'll just grab hold of the
tiger's tail and run with it.

--
Skipper
Don White

Skipper wrote:
[...]

Moderate thyself..... sinner!
News f2s

"Skipper" wrote in message
The rec.boats NG has is going through challenging times. Where
once it
was the
predominant boating NG populated by many industry experts, it
has now
become little more than an off-topic chatroom. Most of truly
knowledgeable have long since abandoned this forum for saner
climes.

Agree your broad principle. But I'm not very experienced in
finding good forums. Where can I find saner climes if your
proposal doesn't work out?

JimB

JohnH

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 20:43:09 -0600, Skipper wrote:

[...]

Skipper, look at the posts in this group for the past month. Compare them
to the posts in rec.boats for the past month.

The difference lies in the maturity and self-control of the participants
not the existence of a moderator.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
prodigal1

JohnH quoted:
Skipper who apparently wrote:
The rec.boats NG has is going through challenging times. Where once it
was the
predominant boating NG populated by many industry experts, it has now
become little more than an off-topic chatroom. Most of truly
knowledgeable have long since abandoned this forum for saner climes.
Where once the very best advice could be found there, now serious
questions will most likely be greeted with flame.

Skipper, look at the posts in this group for the past month. Compare them
to the posts in rec.boats for the past month.

The difference lies in the maturity and self-control of the participants
not the existence of a moderator.

agreed
Rule 1: Do not feed trolls
Rule 2: Killfile and move on
Rule 3: When in doubt, apply Rules 1 and 2 with extreme prejudice

--
just 12 short weeks till launch time

Capt. JG

Exactly... look at alt.sailing.asa. Now that is the wild, wild west. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

David&Joan

Yes, I will vote for it.

Also it was interesting to note, that all of the responders so far quoted
all (most) or part (one) of your original text. I don't read past the first
page, so anyone who quotes your whole text doesn't get read by me.

David

Bryan

"prodigal1" wrote in message
[...]

12 short weeks? Hell! That's a lifetime.