Steve

Default Moorage in Grays Harbor/Aberdeen, WA

I'm moving to Grays Harbor Co. WA and considering moving my boat from the
Hood Canal to Grays Harbor next summer.

Westport seems to be the principal and most popular moorage, however that
would be about 50 miles from where I will be living. Too far to utilize or
keep an eye on my boat.

I realize Grays Harbor is very limited in depth, aside from the dredged
channel and that will limit my sailing to open coastal waters. Not real
cruising in this otherwise large harbor.

However I was hoping I could find some marina facility in the Aberdeen or
Cosmopolis area. So far all I see on the charts are log booming areas and
industrial docks, etc.. The Chehalis River seems to be dredged and deep
enough for my 6 ft draft and there is only one draw bridge.

My question, is there any pleasure boat or marina facility in Aberdeen, up
the Chehalis or Hoquiam Rivers??

If Westport is the only facilities available, I think I will leave my boat
in the So. Puget Sound or Hood Canal.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

I can agree that there are much better sailing opportunities "inside of Cape
Flattery". I have sailed a half dozen seasons inside and know there are
still plenty of areas left to explore. And even more in and around Vancouver
Is. BC.

Port Angeles would be over 100 miles from my new home. Shelton or Olympia
would be the next choice but both are in the extreme south end of Puget
Sound. ("been there, done that!!")

I think it is important to be within easy commute, an hour or so, drive to
maintain the boat.

I guess the reality is, I have a boat in one of the best cruising areas on
the west coast and I will now be living 100 miles from a desirable moorage.

My next cruising destination will be Barkley Sound and moving the boat to
Grays Harbor will still be about the same sailing distance as the Hood
Canal. Oh Well! I should do some ocean sailing now or later (albeit
coastal).

Steve
s/v Good Intentions
"Gordon" wrote in message
I have friends living in that area and they keep their boat in Port
Angeles due to better sailing oppertunities.

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Bob

Hi again Steve:

I've tied up in Westport, WA a couple times in the last five years.
Just passing through. Nothing longer than 10 days. Check the chart and
I am sure you've noticed that the channel from Westport to Aberdeen is
more crooked than a Republican. Don't forget the 10-12 foot tide
exchange. Good thing is that the bottom is really soft!

If you need a shower at the Westport boat basin you have to go to the
port office. They have a shower inside their office. A bit too close to
the secratary's desk for me.

I keept a close eye out on the Aberdeen side for a plce to tie up and
did not see anything from a road side look. As you know that part of
the state has hit a big post lumber/fish bust. I did see several old
dead docks that looked interesting....... but no hotel services and
possible problems with finding the right someone to give you an okay.
And then there is local security issues. Although most unemployed fish
and lumber people have either moved on or now make a living
manufacturing meth for fun and profit. So boat would most likley be
secure in that respect.

Have you considered moving to Newport, OR?

Bob