otnmbrd

Default Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran

Gogarty wrote in news:

The US may not stop a foreign flag vessel in international waters unless
it has the permission of the government whose flag it is. But like so
much else these days, that's a mere technicality to be brushed aside.
Too many governmenst routinely grant blanket authority. Can you imagine
the uproasr if Iran started stopping US flag vessels in the Persian
Gulf?

EG First you'd have to find a vessel (other than Navy) in the Persian
Gulf with a US flag, then you'd have to find one that wasn't under US
government charter.
Ian George

While reading rec.boats.cruising, I noticed ray lunder
felt compelled to write:

Is there a general guideline for drogue size? My boat is 23', 9' beam,
tumbleholm stern, about 2.5 tons. Also, some boats have a provision
for chaining the rudder (mine doesn't) to avoid being bent by a
following wave. I assume the drogue is deployed on a line whose length
is somehow related to wave height or interval? Can you elaborate on
this? How do you avoid having the cockpit filled with seawater? Thank
you.

www.seriesdrogue.com

particularly:

http://seriesdrogue.com/designersnot...nersnotes.html

the other designers notes and research data on this site will answer
all the above.

Ian
Bob

The best $20 bucks you will ever spend. Cuts right through all the BS
you'll here from people who have 45 years and 100s of thousands of
miles "experience." For example, the cat owner in this earlier
discussion.

Hinz, Earl R. (2000), Heavy Weather Tactics Using Sea Anchors and
Drogues. Arcata, CA: Paradise Cay Publications (ISBN 0 939837 37 4).
Bob

Bruce in Alaska

In article .com,
"Bob" wrote:

Good question, and I have no idea. For US citizens it is clear cut:
You are required to obey an order from a law enforcement officer, and
the USCG qualifies as such.

Well now, the above is not exactly true.

For US Flagged and Documented Vessels, the USCG, US Marshals, and the
US Navy, if at sea are the only people that can board, without the
Captain's Permission.
Local LEO's sometimes try to extend their Jurasdiction to Documented
Vessels, and have done so in US Waters, only to have any evidence seized
thrown out of Court for Illeagal Search. Having been a Federal Agent,
with Enforcement Powers, I still had to go find a US Marshal, or Coastie,
to board a US Flagged and Documented Vessel, against the Captains wishes.
I have had to do this numerious times, and the proceedure was always the
same. Usually it has been something simple, but on one occasion a
collegue had to go find a local Coastie to accompany him back to so
a SixPack Inspection on a local Charter Vessel, where boarding was
denied by the Skipper. I stood watch while the USCG was rounded up, and
they actually came in force, armed, with a CPO in charge of the detail.
We conducted our inspection, found numerious violations and PickSlipped
the Vessel, but the CPO looked in the bildge, found a pile of Dope,
and hauled the skipper and Mate off in cuffs. I was called as a witness,
to document the timeline of the observation of the vessel in question,
and the skipper was convicted, and the Mate as well. Ever wonder why
it is the US Marshals that conduct sales of documented vessels that are
siezed in US Waters, and it is the Marshals that do the siezing?

Maritime Law is different that any other LAW, and it has different
requirements than normal shoreside Law.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Bob

Hi Bruce:

Sounds as though you may have some insight here. How about a "what if."
Lets say I am a US citizen sailing about 350 miles off the CA shore. I
am not flying any flags. After all, I am less than 12 meters LOA and a
recreational vessel. I just spent a few months in Peru and returning
home to Astoria, Or. A US warship says, pull over we want to board.
Can I tell them to buzz off and keep sailing?

Bob

Wayne.B

On 6 Feb 2006 13:25:18 -0800, "Bob" wrote:

A US warship says, pull over we want to board.
Can I tell them to buzz off and keep sailing?

Not for long.

Gary

Bob wrote:
Hi Bruce:

Sounds as though you may have some insight here. How about a "what if."
Lets say I am a US citizen sailing about 350 miles off the CA shore. I
am not flying any flags. After all, I am less than 12 meters LOA and a
recreational vessel. I just spent a few months in Peru and returning
home to Astoria, Or. A US warship says, pull over we want to board.
Can I tell them to buzz off and keep sailing?

Bob

As the Captain of a Canadian warship, I can tell you, we can't do that.
We'd need probable cause and loads of approval. We'd probably
just put some other resources on you and watch you quite closely until
we got the permission. Now, in the Persian Gulf......
Don White

Gary wrote:
Bob wrote:

Hi Bruce:

Sounds as though you may have some insight here. How about a "what if."
Lets say I am a US citizen sailing about 350 miles off the CA shore. I
am not flying any flags. After all, I am less than 12 meters LOA and a
recreational vessel. I just spent a few months in Peru and returning
home to Astoria, Or. A US warship says, pull over we want to board.
Can I tell them to buzz off and keep sailing?

Bob

As the Captain of a Canadian warship, I can tell you, we can't do that.
We'd need probable cause and loads of approval. We'd probably
just put some other resources on you and watch you quite closely until
we got the permission. Now, in the Persian Gulf......

Sail on one of the 'Halifax Class' ships?
Gary

Don White wrote:
Gary wrote:

Bob wrote:

Hi Bruce:

Sounds as though you may have some insight here. How about a "what if."
Lets say I am a US citizen sailing about 350 miles off the CA shore. I
am not flying any flags. After all, I am less than 12 meters LOA and a
recreational vessel. I just spent a few months in Peru and returning
home to Astoria, Or. A US warship says, pull over we want to board.
Can I tell them to buzz off and keep sailing?

Bob

As the Captain of a Canadian warship, I can tell you, we can't do
that. We'd need probable cause and loads of approval. We'd
probably just put some other resources on you and watch you quite
closely until we got the permission. Now, in the Persian Gulf......

Sail on one of the 'Halifax Class' ships?

No. HMCS Oriole.

www.navy.gc.ca/oriole
Wayne.B

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 01:11:41 GMT, Gary wrote:

No. HMCS Oriole.

www.navy.gc.ca/oriole

Cool.

Are you allowed warning shots across the bow in port/starboard
encounters?