Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Roger Long

Default How vacuum tight are ‘Y" valves?

I want to put in a Jabsco (Model 2675387) self priming Macerator pump
to empty the holding tank when I’m more than three miles out. Will
typical "Y" valves be tight enough under suction for the pump to draw
from the tank instead of pulling so much air into the line around the
"Y" valve seals that it just cavitates? Some seals work fine under
pressure but leak under suction.

The pump will only have to lift about 15 inches. It says it’s self
priming to 5’ when "wet" but my experience with getting pumps to prime
is that it doesn’t take much air leakage to result in major
frustration.

Any particular "Y" valve I should be looking for to avoid this as well
as minimize the possibility of its being an odor source?

--

Roger Long