Peggie Hall

Default How vacuum tight are ‘Y" valves?

Roger Long wrote:

I want to put in a Jabsco (Model 2675387) self priming Macerator pump
to empty the holding tank when I’m more than three miles out. Will
typical "Y" valves be tight enough under suction for the pump to draw
from the tank instead of pulling so much air into the line around the
"Y" valve seals that it just cavitates? Some seals work fine under
pressure but leak under suction.

That y'valve shouldn't be under suction, Roger...tank contents should be
being pushed over it. It goes between the pump and the thru-hull.

Any particular "Y" valve I should be looking for to avoid this as well
as minimize the possibility of its being an odor source?

I'd go with a Whale.

--
Peggie