BoatBanter.com

-   -   Floating dinghy painters are available. (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/65394-floating-dinghy-painters-available.html)

Roger Long January 22nd 06 10:00 PM

Floating dinghy painters are available.

"DSK" wrote in

BTW you all should bear in mind that a floating dinghy painter can
still get pulled into the prop.

It isn't a choice between a floating painter or bringing the dinghy up
short in my navy. There are other reasons for the good seamanship of
bringing the dinghy in. The floating painter is added insurance
against forgetting. That will probably be when something distracting
is going on and fouling the prop would just make things worse.

--

Roger Long

DSK January 22nd 06 10:33 PM

Roger Long wrote:
It isn't a choice between a floating painter or bringing the dinghy up
short in my navy. There are other reasons for the good seamanship of
bringing the dinghy in.

Agreed.

... The floating painter is added insurance
against forgetting. That will probably be when something distracting
is going on and fouling the prop would just make things worse.

Well sure. But hey, you don't want life to be boring, do ya ;)

DSK

Jere Lull January 24th 06 04:13 AM

Floating dinghy painters are available.

In article ,
DSK wrote:

BTW you all should bear in mind that a floating dinghy painter can
still get pulled into the prop. I've had it happen once or thrice and
felt stupid every time. Wen the boat is maneuvering, snug the dinghy
up to the stern so the painter isn't long enough to reach, and this
also keeps the dinghy from wandering aound free and wrapping around
pilings.

Personally, I snub the dink to the rear quarter. I've seen dinks snubbed
to the stern get sucked partially under. Thankfully, none of them got
chewed or sunk, but I expect to see it some day.

--
Jere Lull