boatgeek

Default foolproof varnish

I've got some woodwork to do and would like to know opinions on
different varnishes for the interior. I want something that I can
apply quickly (2 coats in one day) and get finished in two days. I've
used epiphanes before, lots of drips, bubbles, etc. This is just for
interior beech colored light wood on mainly a plastic boat. Most of
the trim is vertical surfaces, thin strips.

Basically I want the wife to say "Wow!!" when she returns from a 3 day
trip and not have a project half completed with a ton of sags, bubbles
runs to get out, and wait 6 months for a hardened finish before I do a
final buffing.

I have soooo many boat projects I can't afford to be a perfectionist
and it seems like products such as epiphanes are softer varnishes for
flexibility due to climate changes. I need something simple and
foolproof.

Doug

Two coats a day is asking a lot. I believe that even the 2 part LPUs
require a day to dry.

Jere Lull

In article .com,
"boatgeek" wrote:

I've got some woodwork to do and would like to know opinions on
different varnishes for the interior. I want something that I can
apply quickly (2 coats in one day) and get finished in two days. I've
used epiphanes before, lots of drips, bubbles, etc. This is just for
interior beech colored light wood on mainly a plastic boat. Most of
the trim is vertical surfaces, thin strips.

Apply THIN coats with a good brush and don't "work" it too hard. When
you can, go across the grain in a less than 1' square area, then tip
with the grain and go to the next "square", overlapping slightly. It may
not look like you're getting a full coat down, but it'll work.

The next morning, if you put down thin coats, it'll be set up enough
that you can wet-sand lightly, dry and clean with a tack cloth, then hit
the next coat or two.

--
Jere Lull
boatgeek

Using what type of varnish?

-Doug

Keith

Get "Brightwork" by Rebecca Wittman if you're serious about working
with varnish, etc.