Thomas Wentworth

Default Albin Ballad sailboat ..

Anyone know about this boat? For cruising? How about seaworthyness?

Dennis Pogson

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
Anyone know about this boat? For cruising? How about seaworthyness?

Thousands were made in the late sixties, early seventies. Excellent boats
with a modest fin/skeg underwater profile. I would say very seaworthy.

Flemming Torp

"Thomas Wentworth" skrev i en
meddelelse news:JjWsf.3599$yx.2009@trndny01...
Anyone know about this boat? For cruising? How about
seaworthyness?

Hi Thomas,

I've been the owner of an Albin Ballad (#251- Shantala) for
ten years. It was built in Sweden in 1973. At that time it
was a pretty modern halftonner. It is a "30 footer" - 3
meters wide - you need ca. 1,60 m under the waterline ...
(don't know the correct English word ...). Deplacement ca.
3.350 kg. Almost two housand units were built until the
producer went "belly up" in the late seventies, where
Scandinavia were suffering from "the oil-crisis" ... Most of
the boats were delivered with a one - later - two cyl. Volvo
Penta engine - diesel. (Our engine had a lifetime of 31
years -in 2004 we installed a new 3 cyl. Penta diesel). In
Scandinavia, it is classified as a BODA - i.a. highly
standardized with strict rules for racing, which meant that
we all could race against each other, and the boat that came
first - ... was the winner ...

I consider it a pretty stable boat - 5 persons can sleep -
height in the cabin ca. 1,80 m. It has a rather large
Genua - 32 sqm, and pretty small main sail 16 sqm, and
spinnalker ca. 70 sqm. Compared to modern cruisers, you may
consider the Ballad somewhat "underrigged" - as she has
problems following the new constructions in light wind
conditions ... On the other hand she can take a lot of wind
and waves and is easily controlled by one helmsman ...

You will still see a lot of blue or white, and a few red
"Ballads" in Skandinavia, Holland and some in the UK - and a
small nunmber in other countries.

I know of quite a few skippers, that have crossed the
Atlantic in a Ballad. I would, however, not dare to do it
.... But we (me, my wife and four boys - two of them when
thsy grew up...) have been around in the waters along the
coast of Sweden, Norway and Denmark, and the boat has never
"led us down" ... It is a very stable - in my opinion - and
solid - may be a little old fashioned/classic construction
with led in the keel, that is integrated in the "underwater
construction" - which means, that contact with even a hard
Swedish "underwaterrock" did not destroy he boat ... we had
to repair the "contact point" on the keel ...

Even if you do not read any Danish or swedish, you might get
en impression of the boat by visiting
http://ballad.dk/ (Danish) og
http://hem.passagen.se/ballad/ Swedish - with a little
English (still subjective!) Summary:

quote
A brief presentation
of
ALBIN BALLAD

There are more than 1500 Ballads in existence, they are
popular, eternally beautiful yachts who sail in the waters
round more than 20 countries.

Ballad - the racer which is now rated as an ocean cruiser -
meets not only the demands of the racing crew in terms of
seaworthiness but also the sailing family's needs for a well
planned, stiff and well designed (configured, laid out)
boat. The Ballad's beam contributes to the much-appreciated
stiffness.

Furthermore, the Ballad is recognised as a design of
considerable beauty based on lines that will never become
obsolete. The bows provide for comfortable runs without
pounding.

Ballad - the ocean cruiser - has now more than 25 years
experience of the wet element and is still going strong, and
growing in popularity. It is still to be determined what age
a Ballad may reach.

Ballad - a lot of boat for your money!

Measurements:LOA30 ft
LWL6,9 m
Beam2,96 m
*Draft1,55 m
Displacement3.300 kg
Keel weight1.550 kg
Sails:Main15,9 m sq
Genoa I32,2 m sq
Genoa II25,2 m sq
Genoa III18,5 m sq
Genoa IV13,5 m sq
Spinnacker70 m sq

LYS 1.08 (Leading Yardstick)

Auxiliary: Volvo Penta
Boats built 1971-75MD 6A 10 hp
1976-77MD 6B 10 hp
1977-78MD 7A 13 hp
1978-MD 7B 17 hp
1984VP 2002 18 hp

Design: Rolf Magnusson
*) Height above WL 12,4 m excluding wind indicator or any
other mast top mounted gear.
unquote

Today, it is a "classic" - still with beautiful lines (in my
subjective opinion!), a very comfortable family boat that is
sold in the private market at prices around US$ 25K-35K -
mainly depending on age, sails, and engine and of course how
it is maintained ... (Don't forget, we "struggle" with VAT
of some 25% on everything a private person buys from a
company in this part of the world - and that is also valid
when you buy a new boat from the factory/shipyard (or
whatever the correct word is?) ... Buying and selling second
hand boats between private persons is without VAT.

Hope this info gives you some ideas of the Ballad ...

--
Best regards
Flemming Torp - Denmark

rckchp

There is one now on ebay, search for item number 4599976146

rich a.

Ron

Very well regarded. One for sale at www.coburgbrokers.com
Regards Ron

Mika

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:56:41 GMT, "Thomas Wentworth"
wrote:

Anyone know about this boat? For cruising? How about seaworthyness?

Check www.sailguide.com

Mike

A bad day on the water is better than a great day on land.

Lähetätkö e-mailia? Vaihda osoitteen eka (vai oliko se toka?)
kahdeksikko numeroksi viisi.