BoatBanter.com

-   -   Olive wants to go to the Caribbean ! (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/63867-olive-wants-go-caribbean.html)

[email protected] December 9th 05 01:43 AM

Olive wants to go to the Caribbean !

Don White wrote:
wrote:
Olive (her last name actually means olive tree :-) wants to
sail to the Caribbean before crossing the Pacific. So maybe
we're going to do this in 2007.

Should we plan on spending at least a year for this trip ?
How about 4 months to get from California to the Caribbean,
4 months in the Caribbean (January to April) and 4 months
(or longer) to get back ?

If I was on your side of the continent, I'd head for Tahiti,
not the Caribbean. Hire someone who knows what he's doing
to accompany you.

I would rather do that too. Maybe if we decide to keep going
west we can visit the Caribbean on the way back from Europe.

But what should I say to convince Olive that this is the best
way to go ?

We also have a good friend who has been sailing since before
we were born who may want to go with us.

Gary December 9th 05 01:55 AM

wrote:
Don White wrote:

wrote:

Olive (her last name actually means olive tree :-) wants to
sail to the Caribbean before crossing the Pacific. So maybe
we're going to do this in 2007.

Should we plan on spending at least a year for this trip ?
How about 4 months to get from California to the Caribbean,
4 months in the Caribbean (January to April) and 4 months
(or longer) to get back ?

If I was on your side of the continent, I'd head for Tahiti,
not the Caribbean. Hire someone who knows what he's doing
to accompany you.

I would rather do that too. Maybe if we decide to keep going
west we can visit the Caribbean on the way back from Europe.

But what should I say to convince Olive that this is the best
way to go ?

We also have a good friend who has been sailing since before
we were born who may want to go with us.

Score, sounds like you could use the help.

Why don't you buy the boat in Florida?

[email protected] December 9th 05 02:13 AM

Gary wrote:
wrote:
Don White wrote:

If I was on your side of the continent, I'd head for Tahiti,
not the Caribbean. Hire someone who knows what he's doing
to accompany you.

I would rather do that too. Maybe if we decide to keep going
west we can visit the Caribbean on the way back from Europe.

But what should I say to convince Olive that this is the best
way to go ?

We also have a good friend who has been sailing since before
we were born who may want to go with us.

Score, sounds like you could use the help.

Why don't you buy the boat in Florida?

Actually there's a well equipped 2001 Vancouver 460 for sale
in Florida but Olive doesn't want to quit her job right now.

I also think she prefers a new one :-)

Wayne.B December 9th 05 02:29 AM

Olive wants to go to the Caribbean !

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 00:13:22 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

Other friends with the same kind of boat left the Virgin Islands in
June of 1999 and spent the winter and spring of 2000 in Trinidad
refitting

From there they went (earliest date at the bottom)

They are now (5 years later) at Volume #135 - Vava'u, Tonga Part 4
(September 15 - November 29, 2005)

=================

Is this all chronicled on the web somewhere?

What a story that must be.

Rosalie B. December 9th 05 05:37 AM

wrote:
Gary wrote:
wrote:
Don White wrote:

If I was on your side of the continent, I'd head for Tahiti,
not the Caribbean. Hire someone who knows what he's doing
to accompany you.

I would rather do that too. Maybe if we decide to keep going
west we can visit the Caribbean on the way back from Europe.

But what should I say to convince Olive that this is the best
way to go ?

We also have a good friend who has been sailing since before
we were born who may want to go with us.

Score, sounds like you could use the help.

Why don't you buy the boat in Florida?

Actually there's a well equipped 2001 Vancouver 460 for sale
in Florida but Olive doesn't want to quit her job right now.

I also think she prefers a new one :-)

New boats are the pits. They don't come with all the equipment - you
have not only to pay the extra price for new, but also to buy all the
lines and stuff you need.

grandma Rosalie

Rosalie B. December 9th 05 05:39 AM

wrote:

Other friends with the same kind of boat left the Virgin Islands in
June of 1999 and spent the winter and spring of 2000 in Trinidad
refitting

From there they went (earliest date at the bottom)

They are now (5 years later) at Volume #135 - Vava'u, Tonga Part 4
(September 15 - November 29, 2005)

=================

Is this all chronicled on the web somewhere?

What a story that must be.

Yes it is here

http://www.thetwocaptains.com/logbook.htm

It takes quite awhile to read. These were the folks that we chartered
with twice before we bought our boat so that Bob could see whether he
thought I could be happy living on a boat.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id1.html

Gary December 9th 05 03:52 PM

Rosalie B. wrote:
wrote:

Gary wrote:

wrote:

Don White wrote:

[...]

Right on. Let some other sucker buy and install all the techno geek stuff.

Wayne.B December 9th 05 05:25 PM

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 15:52:42 GMT, Gary wrote:

Let some other sucker buy and install all the techno geek stuff.

===========================

On the other hand you get to install the stuff that YOU want and not
what someone else wanted. I usually end up replacing about half the
electronics on a used boat in the first year that I own it.

Rosalie B. December 9th 05 07:47 PM

Wayne.B wrote:

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 15:52:42 GMT, Gary wrote:

Let some other sucker buy and install all the techno geek stuff.

===========================

On the other hand you get to install the stuff that YOU want and not
what someone else wanted. I usually end up replacing about half the
electronics on a used boat in the first year that I own it.

We bought an old boat with no electronics on it. So there was nothing
to replace. We had a VHF radio, an AM/FM radio and a Loran and that
was about it.

What I was referring to was stuff like lines, fenders, dinghy,
outboard, and stuff like that. And we even got some charts, tools and
extra equipment (pots and pans for the kitchen) and soft furnishings.

The first thing we got was a GPS - it didn't have one. But we could
get on the boat and sail and go to a dock and tie up without having to
buy a lot of stuff first.

grandma Rosalie

Wayne.B December 9th 05 08:43 PM

Olive wants to go to the Caribbean !

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 19:47:42 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

What I was referring to was stuff like lines, fenders, dinghy,
outboard, and stuff like that. And we even got some charts, tools and
extra equipment (pots and pans for the kitchen) and soft furnishings.

Yes, and it's surprising how fast the price of that sort of thing adds
up.